Slow day jigging Monday

Ben Derecki

Went out for a jig on Monday with a couple of mates. With the weather looking so sweet over here and we all managed to jag a day off, so off we went.

We were pretty amped for some good fishing after reading a lot of reports of AJ schools and when we pulled around the heads at the ramp and saw the glass-off across Cockburn Sound we almost blew a gasket.

Did one of the quickest trips ever getting out there given it was so flat and when we arrived there were about four other boats out there. Anyway it was a long hard day of jigging with little success. The sounder was mad with fish but be damned if we could get them to take anything. We started off on the heavy stuff and I was on straight away, was great rubbing into the others about their lack of fishing prowess... until I realised it wasn't a fish that I had and and once I'd winched it up 100m found I had two snapper leads. Definately one of my most unusual captures.

Eventually moved to the lighter gear (check out the Lemax FerariStik - EX601 - if you want a good value light jig rod, was pretty impressed with its action but unfortuantely no fish)... what a relief that was on the old arm after finishing up with the heavier PE8 gear! But still with the changes to lighter jigs we had no success other than a double header of rat sambos which Luke managed to get about half way through the day.

Jared dropped some baits down on his light Jigwrex and found a few of the local leatherjackets, geez they're ugly, and that was about it. We tried a couple of different spots but not much happening at any of them... tried trolling for some tuna but no success their either and that seemed to be the same on all the boats we bumped into.

All in all it was a great day on the water and better than being at work, but a disappointing outcome none-the-less.

1-5.jpg

2-5.jpg

6-4.jpg

3-5.jpg

4-5.jpg

8-2.jpg

Hey Wes

Chinaman Leatherjacket of sorts I think.

Pretty weird looking fish hey, it's the Colonel Sanders of fish - all head no body. Wicked set of teeth though.

are those the ones that are causing all the problems in Sydney Harbour?

Yeah I think they are cw but the ones I remember seeing on the news were a fair bit smaller. Maybe they're like the little groms terrorising the suburban waterways while all the big daddies like this are out in 100m.

beaut weather out there Ben :)

jeez those leatheries look ugly as. Are those the ones you can eat??

G'day Henry

Yeah I think so mate, I kept this one just out of interest, the meat is really white and looks great. Will probably cook it up tomorrow night though, haven't had the chance to do it yet. If I don't post any feedback within four days then fear the worst :sick: :laugh:

Archived