River Bassing Fun

Gerty_92

Headed down to the old weir for the first time since the rain and flooding. The place was a mess with trees and shrubs all over the place. The water was still moving quite quickly and was still very deep. I found a little opening on the bank about 100 metres downstream from the old weir and started casting a jackall into the deep and along the bank, changing up my retrieval techniques every now and then. I found the slow roll to most effective.

After about 5 casts i was smashed just 5 metres from the bank by a monster. After a long battle using only 4 lb fireline i landed my first decent size bass. Measured close to 45cm and it put a nice bend in my 2-5kilo sahara rod.

I kept casting in the same spot for most of the time i was there and ended up landing another 6 bass, and dropped two which felt pretty heavy, just didnt get a very good hook up.

I tried further down the river but by that stage it was getting hotter and i was already stoked with my catches so i called it a day...

I manged to catch all these within an hour all with the same jackall.

overall it was a very enjoyable day and i highly recommend making the most of this area in the days and weeks to come as i suspect this is going to be a common trend for a while whilst the water is fresh and these big australian bass are caught in those pools out there.

I was using a sienna 1000 reel with 4lb fireline with a 6lb leader. Was probably a bit light, but made for very exciting and nervous fishing :S ....

Thanks for reading and good luck fishing

p.s. will add photos when i get a chance, and all fish caught where released so that all the AFO members can catch them again.

Geat to see those Bass biting and fighting hard then released to live another day.

The power of the water going thru there must have been massive, some huge trees flung around like matchsticks and so much debri up 10-15m in the trees is a testament to that.

That any fish survived that ride shows how tuff they are. Shame that so many of them are ending up in eskies and white buckets after living thru that experience.

The 5th photo seems to be of a Spangled Perch, must be a few of those come over the dam with the bass, yellas and tilapia.

thanks for the report mate, good to see you out there enjoying and respecting these great fish.

rod

yer im not too sure about numbers but i wouldnt be surpirised. heaps of action all really close to the bank and all really nice size. and for surface action im not too sure. i havnt tried myself but i had some friends who went the other day using surface lures but they didnt catch anything. that was around lunch time though so no surprise there.

just got back from this morning and had no luck! water is still rising atm which is cutting off lots of places to fish easily.

water was really dirty this morning, would this be a factor as to why they arnt't biting?

wish the water would just drop and currents slow a bit though!

cheers, gerty

Archived