Gear Necessities

fatmuf

:silly: Hey all sharkers, old and new, lone or crew, him and you - I'm lookin at doin a bit of sharking up the Brissie river and need a couple tips and to-do's.

I'm a pretty rookie fisherman, but not good-for-nothing, and i need to know what sort of gear i'll need for a bit of sharking.

I've got my standard gear for fishing, so thats all sweet, just need to know what size and type of hooks i'll need, and what poundage leader i'm looking at. Maybe even bait tips?

Anything else i'm not aware of would be good cos if i'm not doing it right, there's no point in doing it.

I'm a very patient bloke and even if i don't catch anything, i consider a day of fishing a day well spent - i just need to know i have the right gear for sharking before heading out.

Obviously I don't want to hook the biggest toothy grin :evil: first go haha, just start small.

SO what you got??

have a look in the sharking category and up the top theres neil shultz sharking or something like that that tells you everything personally i use two 4/0 5/0 on about 1m steel trace 60lb i use dead mullet but if i catch anything live thats what i go for either catties or bream with the catties cut the fins off good luck

Hey,a good ideal trace for chasing the smaller ones is one u can cast easily for a start and a thin black cable u can get from BCF,perfect for the smaller stuff.Personally i HATE crimps,purely for the fact that i just dont trust them,using the thin black wire you'll find its very thin and easily slips out of them,i found the best way to use that stuff is to spider hitch a hook/gangs and swivel to either end,u could swing on it and it wouldnt break haha,if your going for a bigger size wire,bunnings sells short spools of 10m stainless steel for $12,u can cut that up and make a few out of it,the way i connect this stuff is just by splicing it.Splicing is stronger that a weld i say! if its done properly u will never fail.If your making gangs another good idea for extra mobiltiy to apply baits is by opening the eyes or the hooks and put a small swivel inbetween the hooks,that way u can swing it around and get the hook str8 in without any frustration.If not gangs,u can always have a fixed on the end and free running hook on the line (both going same direction) great for mullet and other assorted baits,just stick the fixed hook on the end onto the tail of whatever your using and the other one is always moving to attach to the head,think of it as kind of like a universal trace, hope this was of some help,these are just my personal methods,everyones is different,hope it works out however u decide to do it :)

Cheers

matt

post-8439-144598542775_thumb.jpg

post-8439-144598542781_thumb.jpg

Sounds great man, that's a lot of help. Just for further clarification though, what poundage would i want on the thin black cable? I take it i can get a spool of thin stainless steel from bunnings? Spider hitch seems like a great idea, but what's splicing? Also, the fixed hook with the free running hook sounds awesome. This is a great start to some hopeful sharking!

Splicing is when u grab the end of the cable and untwist so the strands come apart,seperate them in half (i.e 3 strands either side) then u run ur swivel or whatever through one side and then u just retwist them back up,hard to explain haha but its a lot easier in real life.20lb to 50lb is fine,depending on how hard u want ur challenge to be,my goal this year for example is a bully on 6lb line.Its all trial and error,u may find other ways that suit you better,all comes down to ur own technique.

matt

Archived