Lake Lenthalls 5&6/05/07

Aaron H

Well guys I woke up at 2:30am hooked the boat up, said goodbye to the missus (which was met with a rather unimpressed reaction at that time of the morning) and was on my way. I met up with the rest of my party at Kybong Matilda for breakfast and reached Burrum river caravan park at about 7:00 am. We camped on the creek this time and as soon as I got there I threw on the bushmans repellent, but it was to no avail. As good as the campsite is the midges are just so goddamn nasty (have a few other choice words to describe them but this is a family website).

Anyway after setting up camp decided to go to Hervey bay and have a look around and check out the jetty. We heard they regularly catch mackeral off there and after seeing the bait fish around the pier I can see why. However we were without luck (wasting valuable Barra time) although we saw a couple of guys with a couple of mackeral tethered up.

Anyway we got back to camp about two pm and were keen for Barra so we thought just a quick session for the boys just to wet the appetite.

Got to the gate by 2:30pm and the security guard did not look real keen to let us in. Thank christ for James (the ranger). He remembered us from Easter and me from this site (thank god for AFO) and we were on the water by 2:45.

We motored out to the snag where I got the Barra last time and armed with some freshwater shrimp we started catching bass as soon as the baits hit the water. After catching and releasing 7 or 8 bass quickly, Bang my rod screamed off and I knew this was what I was after. Two things I was thankful for the fish ran away from the snag and after 10 minutes of fighting very hard, Barramundi seem to fight themselves to the brink of exhaustion and as we forgot the landing net my mate just stuck his hand down its throat and brought the fish in. Beautiful fresh barra for dinner and at 70cm perfect eating size for five. We caught another two bass and were back at the ramp by 3:30. Not a bad 1/2 hour session 10 bass and 1 barra ;)

The next morning we got out there just after nine the theory being the fish are biting better in the warmer weather (Really we just slept in to many beers). We went to my snag again and found only bass (only bass what is happening to me :unsure: ) and tried another couple of spots for a total of another 23 bass for the morning, it was then time to go unfortunately

The bass ranged from 25 to 42 cm and were in pretty good nick except for a few that have a type of redworm infestation (glad I don't eat bass). Unfortunately I was using heavy gear, I love bass on my 4lb gear but after getting smashed last time on 20lb I wasn't taking any chances.

Only the one barra but it was worth it ;).

Most fish were caught on shrimp even the barra which was a surprise considering the size of the fish compared to the size of the bait. Although I did manage two get some bass on old faithful G/vibe, (again even my lure gear was 15lb fireline with 30lb fluouro carbon so it wasn't really sporting)

I cant wait to get there again and not waste valuable barra time in Hervey bay :laugh: .

Good to see u again James and I hope u get things sorted out with the trouble makers. Seriously guys James is a top bloke, and knows a lot about the dam so if he offers advice listen, local knowledge is an invaluable thing.

Hopefully be back in a couple of weeks.

[img size=282]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AzBarra2.JPG

post-266-144598413978_thumb.jpg

Archived