gudgen (i think) id

Joel Eadie

i caught this guy in my net as i was getting shrimp for my fish, it was about 8cm long and fat as hell. sorry about the crappy photo i was trying to get it back in the water quick

i think its some type of gudgen?

post-6557-144598550439_thumb.jpg

also while i am here, i caught this bass in npd last year, as was wondering how bass tasted. i got it home and went to gut it and found what i think is eggs??? i am probably wrong cas i know they dont breed in fresh

post-6557-14459855042_thumb.png

all the best to those on schoolies, im heading up the sunny coast so stay posted for my epic reports of meter plus flatties and 40cm bream that i am going to catch.

Definitely a gudgeon, based from the photo i would say it's a striped gudgeon. Not very common at all, well at least when we use to go trapping for our natives tanks they weren't very common. They grow much larger then some of the other gudgeons around SEQ. My brothers and i use to have one around the 15-20 cm mark. Not 100% sure on this but i believe they even get bigger then this. Nice find mate.

It is a Striped Gudgeon Gobiomorphus australis.

An amphidromous fish thats spawns in the lower reaches of streams with the larvae spending the early stages of life in brackish water then migrating back upstream. Once common in SEQ streams but now not so due to stream modification and barriers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived