Kurwongbah bass

tangles

I was getting bored with the bloody winds lately and prompted by Uglyfish's post about Kurwongbah I decided to give it a go.

I've never caught a bass before and to be honest, I've never seen one in the flesh but I've seen enough on this site to be able to recognise one. As I don't have any spinners I decided to try to match the hatch and imitate a fresh water shrimp. (never seen one of those either).

So yesterday I took my bream gear and some 2" baby shrimp in various colours and was at the Torrens Rd park and 4.45.

Started with banana prawn colour on a 1/16th jig and started working the clear water between the lillies. Within 15 minutes I had a bass of 26cm at my feet. First ever and no camera! I really didn't think I would catch anything.

That was followed a few minutes later with a 35cm model. Things went quiet for a while so I changed to the same plastic in pearl white and things picked up again. Landed another 4 and dropped 1 in the next 45 minutes, all between 25 to 30cm. All were released.

Home having a cuppa by 6.30.

Went back in the late arvo and couldn't raise a scale.

Is the morning the hot time or was I just lucky?

congratulations on your first bass! great little fighters on light line.

here's hoping that the vast majority of anglers who visit this spot follow your example and release their catch to fight another day. The stocking group did some great work raising funds and getting these fish in the water, would be a great shame if they ended up in fish curries or on the BBQ when they are such an asset as sport fish.

I'm sure you'll crack a bit of a pattern the more you chase them, but sometimes it's more to do with other conditions (ie Temp and Barometer) than just the time of day.

might see you out there one day, thanks for sharing.

rod

Congrats mate. You will now be hooked. On your question, there are heaps of factors that are important, i tend to stick to times as my main focus though so early mornings and late afternoon are generally more productive for me. Then just let your lures and your patience do the rest. Good luck mate i hope you get plenty more.

Archived