Moreton Island - 12 & 13th May 2007

Terry H

After not rowing a bait out in 3 months Ben and I decided the time had more than come for another trip to Moreton Island. I’d recently asked a mate to weld some rod holders together, and was eager to try them out. Chris, they were awesome! Thanks mate! Despite the horrendous forecast which kept almost all boats out of the bay, we boarded the Combie Trader and departed at 8am. As we ventured from the sheltered waters and into the bay, the swell picked up quickly and before long the whole deck was continuously getting sprayed with saltwater. Upon our arrival we were greeted with a nice surprise. Despite the forecasted 20/25 SE, the conditions on the bay side were even calmer than I’d expected. Bonus!

We ate, slept, ate and slowly got stuff ready, and at about 3:30 we started to seriously prepare baits and get ready for the night. The first two baits to be used for this trip consisted of 6.5kg eel bait, and two smaller pike eels of 1-1.2m in length. Rigs consisted of two 16/0 hooks, hooked up to 100lb line on Tiagra 80Ws. About an hour before sunset, and a little later than I hoped, the baits were deployed past the drop off and the waiting game began. For this trip, the waiting game consisted of more sleeping and eating than anything else. Our dinner consisted of approximately: 1.5 chickens, tin of tuna, 3 apples, 4 bananas, tin of spaghetti, tin of baked beans, 4L of water, 2-4 mandarins, bread rolls and a side of peanuts to top it off.

No action was seen until well into the night, and at about 11:30pm the first Tiagra with two pike eels as bait, quietly comes alive. Unfortunately no hook up was to be, and the bait was left out in a hope for a second inspection. The night was quiet until 2am when it was my turn to sit in the watch chair. The first run had resulted in the sandbag being busted off, and during the night the incoming tide has dragged the bait down the beach. The remains were wound in and the rod retired for the night. At 4:30 in the morning, the remaining 6.5kg eel bait was hit resulting in only a short run, which ended by the time I picked up the rod. The sandbag was cut, but there was still a large bait on the end. I took a seat once more and eagerly waited for the shark to strike again. It didn’t take long for the shark to return and I quickly set the hooks and the fight began. It didn't take long before we landed the first shark of the trip, a Bully measuring in at 8’6â€Â. Hooks were removed, photos taken and the shark quickly returned to deeper water.

Come morning, our remaining food supplies consisted of half a tub of peanuts. After resorting to two pies each for breakfast, we were ready to rig up more baits for the day. This time, only smaller eels were available, so five were rigged to form each bait. At about 1-2pm, I was casually looking out into the bay when I noticed a shark jump out of and then splash back into the water, leaving a massive circle of calm water in its wake. Unfortunately Ben didn't see the shark, but did see the calm water left behind. I noticed that it was, funnily enough, just about the same spot as where I dropped one of the baits. I looked at the rod and interesting, the rod was no longer bent. “Ben we might be on again!†Sure enough, we were, and after another short fight a small 6ft shark was landed.

Nothing touched the remaining bait. Once the light started to fade, the waters around the drop off started to boil. I’d taken my lure rod, and started throwing a metal slug out. This resulted in 3 yellowtail in as many casts, however by this time the barge was getting close so we had to finish packing up.

Thanks to Angus and Chris!

Impressive:whistle:

Really glad that I am not:

1: an eel

2: a swimmer

3: a shark looking for an easy meal!;)

Some serious preperation and hardware there.

Makes my flathead fishing seem a bit tame...I think I would wet myself should I be that close to that bully:unsure:

Good report Terry

crazy crazy crazy................. i'm stoked when i get a 3ft plus bully in the river!!! and i'm glad the holders worked!!! just try to keep em looking nice ok? :P anyway.. well done on the effort! don't think i could have made it the 2 days!!! top stuff!

Chris

Speaking of well dones werewolf, i just noticed your display pic. DId i miss something..........:woohoo:

Nice looking fish! Black Jew? sorry illl stop hijacking threads so i have to moderate myself and wait for the report lol.

Angus

Archived