Malaysia & Vietnam

Anhie

lived in malaysia for 6 years before moving over here a while ago. used to work in a japanese lure fishing shop there, so have fished for pretty much all the fish there.

would recommend you to go for snakehead (channa micropeltes) fishing, but you'd need a reliable guide to bring you around (6-9hrs drive up north depending on where you go). language barrier is also another problem - the guides dont speak english. there're 2 or 3 dams that we normally frequent up north. 2 feature live on board floating motherboats (something like a 2 storey ship that moves around the dam). the 2 main ones are really big, from memory one being 350+km2 the other 180km2 or so.

saltwater charters are pretty backward, mostly converted coastal trawlers there're only one or two that provide properly outfitted gameboats, providing light jigging and popping. targets are mainly diamond trevally, gt, cobia and other reef fish. prices range from RM700 upwards per day. that's AUD230 (1AUD= RM3 approx) or so at the current exchange rate, and buys you a 18 or 20ft gameboat with twin 90s out the back for the day. can probs fit 3-4 anglers comfortably.

for a day trip i'd recommend you to visit one of the local payponds there - saltwater ones offering barra, jacks, snapper, cod etc and freshwater ones offering mekong catfish, pacu and various other species.

there're peacock bass about 3 hrs north as well, but they're very inaccessible unless you have a 4wd, cartopper and some locals that know the area. if you're keen, let me know the dates that you'll be in town and i'll see if i can arrange a tag along

let me know if you want more info. I can probably arrange for a guide for you if you're interested, and can arrange for a guide for you while you're in KL city as well. the food in malaysia is awesome, cooked up cod and mudcrabs for RM40-50 per kg,almost anything and everything else you want at an insanely cheap price as well

Archived