Hello to all

Paul Smith

Hello to eveyone here, My name is Paul, at the moment I am just getting my kids into fishing,

We do a lot of 4wding and camping, and are now trying to add fishing to it.

the problem I am having is I have no idea about fishing, that is why I am on here to try and learn the basics.

I read on one of the other post someone said use near map to help find spots to fish, when I am looking at near map what should I be looking for. I am planing on taking the kids fishing around the pine river as we live in Strathpine. Any help on places to go around that area would be great, we will be land based as I have no boat. All I really want is the kids to be able to catch some fish and have fun doing it.

thanks

Paul

Hi Paul welcome.

For a fun day in nice surroundings try taking the kids gar fishing at Bullockies rest on North Pine dam.

Cooked or raw prawn bait cut into bits no larger than a pea light line and a small float, number 12 long shank hook. with hook 9 to 12 inches below float. Get on the shore out of the wind and burley up with some bread crumbs and you will soon have a school of gar in front of you. They fight well and are very tasty to eat.

Just dehead,scale and gut roll them in some flour and cook. When cooked the backbone just lifts out.

You will need a sip to fish there but kids wont.

Cheers

Ray

Hey Paul welcome to the site and there is no end of advice on here and if you can try and come along to some of the weekend's away or event's and keep an eye out for people wanting decky spot's.

As ray has said give the gar a try out at north pine dam but don't forget your stock impoundment permit you can get them online or at a good tackle shop

Welcome to the site Paul.

I have heard of bream being caught under the Bruce Hwy bridge on the Pine, although I am unsure of where to park. Bait to use would include prawn or some soft plastics on light line to name a couple. Having said that, anywhere where you can gain access to the river is a great start, and after a couple of sessions, you will start to suss out the better spots.

Have fun,

Ryan.

Welcome aboard Brisbane's best online community.

Click onto this thread - it is probably a good place to start http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/38-general-chat/136910-anyone-else-in-a-sharing-mood

Many come to AFO and ask where to fish, then forget the pass-it-on theory and selfishly guard even the area they catch fish at. This is about as low as you can go in a community such as this, where generally it's all about helping each other out.

I hope you are able to catch some good fish and have a great time with your kids from any info you find here. Make sure you report back with triumphs or failures. Reporting on failures helps everyone out and also gives an opportunity for members to help out with tips. :)

Archived