"breaking" in new braid...?

fishingnut

Any tips tricks or techniques people use? generally after spooling any of my reels and before any trips i tie on a appropriate size slug and spend at least 3 beers casting in the park across the road to try and wear any of the waxy crap of the braid, after a few sessions i can really start to feel it loosen up and notice casting distance improve dramatically, BTW i don't use PE braids

Hey Beau,

I recently started using Powerpro 5lb, and haven't really had a need to wear it in. It casted very well from the get-go, which I found surprising, as I too have had to wear in fireline and the like in the past. The drama I have is wearing in the leader. I typically use Black Magic 6lb for bassing, and need to straighten out the curves that occur due to the tight wind on the leader spool. It seems to unravel on the spool for the first twenty minutes or so lol.

Ryan.

have never really bothered, i just fish it till its good. doesnt take long with p'pro

i once had a horrible spool of a different braid that had an insane waxy/glue coating on the outside, i tried running it hard through a chux and then it randomly snapped from the insane pressure of working a surface stickbait though

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Beau,

I recently started using Powerpro 5lb, and haven't really had a need to wear it in. It casted very well from the get-go, which I found surprising, as I too have had to wear in fireline and the like in the past. The drama I have is wearing in the leader. I typically use Black Magic 6lb for bassing, and need to straighten out the curves that occur due to the tight wind on the leader spool. It seems to unravel on the spool for the first twenty minutes or so lol.

Ryan.

If you get some rubber like bike tube and pull your mono through it,it will make the mono lay dead straight.

If you are fly fishing this is a must to get your leader to lay perfectly onto the water.

I was just about to post the section below but it appears that braid needs a breakin period.

I recently attended the Tinnie and Tackle Show and got myself a nice Shimano Jewel 6-10kg pole, a 10 bearing 4000 class reel and some braid.

I was keen to get out on Sunday and test the new setup. Caught some small wailers and had a nice encounter with some dolphins.

On the negative side, I found that my braid was almost sticking to itself on the spool and this limited my casting distance. As I cast a few times and the braid got used more it appeared to improve a bit. Is this normal or is the braid that I bought rubbish (the type eludes me at the moment).

post-8379-144598600417_thumb.jpg

BTW i don't use PE braids

What does PE stand for? Is this a good thing?/bad thing?

I just bought some 10lb Sunline super pe, havnt tried it yet. What are your opinions?

yeah um yeer the differents between pe and normal braid is that pe breaks at the lb it says on the box umlike braid which it may say 6lb but might not break till 10lb

cheers

joel

BTW i don't use PE braids

What does PE stand for? Is this a good thing?/bad thing?

I just bought some 10lb Sunline super pe, havnt tried it yet. What are your opinions?

PE is Poly-Ethylene

Here is an article although slightly pitched with a product flair, it does explain the differences and will give you a better understanding between normal braid & pe

/>http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/PE_braided_lines.htm

Archived