does anyone know what this fish is?

blockah

Apparently the last time they were out off moreton there was alot of marlin around i hope that is true. We managed 4 at 1mtr plus long they were massive.

funny story years ago up at rooneys near the tip of fraser island on the western side we kept catching grinner and being soft at the time we were squshing there heads off and throwing them in the drink next minute a huge spaniard came up to the boat within gaff reach just eating all the heads and stuck around for awhile untill we hooked it and got smoked by it.

• 2 weeks later...
Caught heaps those grinners, have never used them as bait just let em go but would would take them if you are using em' as a livie??? sanpper, shark ect??

They are an excellent live bait for Mackeral according to the Pro's who we deal with. For 4 years until recently, we really didnt have a great Mackeral season on the Gold Coast and this translated in a huge increase in the number of grinners around the Gold Coast reefs.

We had a similar experience to Shimanobwoie at Rooneys 2 years ago - caught Grinner after Grinner until suddenly the Macs turned up and then we had some fun.

Hang on I'll just check with very other person that's posted an answer... is it a Grinner?... yep.

I had the same reaction when I first caught one at Bribie Mr Roach. We took a photo and asked back at the dock - everyone knew it and while Grinner was the consistent answer there were lots of other names, too rough for my sensitive nature to repeat.

Archived