PB Flathead

collvan

I have been reading quite a few posts regarding flathead lately and have become a keen flathead fisho with mixed success. I have been trying hard for a good size fish along the Redcliffe Peninsula (land based) recently but also heard that the Caboolture River was producing one metre plus specimens in recent times.

Last weekend I went down to the river for a land based session. Got to the boat ramp and walked towards the river mouth casting along the bank. At the end of the day I got five flathead but all undersized, around the 20 cm – 39 cm mark. Although small, it was much better than catching a nought.

On Saturday, I went to the North Reef for some Bream. Got some good legal bream (as usual) and released them all. I decided to move over to the Caboolture River mouth with my boat in search of that big flattie. Headed across DBay and got my PB Flathead - 56.5 cm. Although still small it was my biggest ever and I was obviously very happy. Gulp nuclear chicken 5’ did the trick with a 1/8 jig head. Soon after that I hooked another 40cm flathead.

I ran out of time but I will be back to claim my one metre monster soon. Will keep you posted.

post-8379-144598628384_thumb.jpg

nice flattie mate. Looks like it may have been a smidge over your 56.5 if you have measured it minus the rigormortis :)

Next time your at a shop, try a Damiki Ripper in skin blue... I've found these are killers on flatties. I've been out fished on those a few times for flatties.

nice flattie mate. Looks like it may have been a smidge over your 56.5 if you have measured it minus the rigormortis :)

Next time your at a shop, try a Damiki Ripper in skin blue... I've found these are killers on flatties. I've been out fished on those a few times for flatties.

Yeah, you are correct Do$tylz, I put it straight on ice and only measured it up once therigormortis set in. Probably 57 or so but I will stck to the .5 cm less. Thanks for the tip on the Damiki Ripper. I hear they are also good in the red colour. Will get a pack of them ASAP.

Archived