Salmon - love them or hate them

youngy

Hi guys, well in the last month or so Salmon have turned up in the Seaway in big numbers and not small fish either.

I have never seen a fish cause so much controversy, Tailor fishermen hate them with a passion, while sports fishermen love them.

These things eat almost anything, have no sharp teeth to bite you off and will pull drag like nothing else for long periods on light gear, i am becoming a bit of a fan actually.

Small slugs and soft plastics have been our lures of choice, but one ate a whole slimey the other day that a guy had left over from an offshore trip, like i said they are not fussy about what they eat.

Apparently they are not much chop to eat but are ok smoked or in fish patties, i have an Asian friend who took one to eat and after a fair bit of preparation said it was ok.

Hopefully they will be around for a while so we can all have a crack at them, cheers wayne

post-7760-14459864058_thumb.jpg

post-7760-14459864091_thumb.jpg

post-7760-14459864092_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598640924_thumb.jpg

thanks for the report Wayne,I`ve always looked on the odd one as a great bonus sport fish off the beach or rocks,when I did trips chasing tailor on the northern NSW coast.

On saying that I`m not really sure we want them in large numbers as a permanent seasonal migration offering up here.

Hi guys, well in the last month or so Salmon have turned up in the Seaway in big numbers and not small fish either.

I have never seen a fish cause so much controversy, Tailor fishermen hate them with a passion, while sports fishermen love them.

These things eat almost anything, have no sharp teeth to bite you off and will pull drag like nothing else for long periods on light gear, i am becoming a bit of a fan actually.

Small slugs and soft plastics have been our lures of choice, but one ate a whole slimey the other day that a guy had left over from an offshore trip, like i said they are not fussy about what they eat.

Apparently they are not much chop to eat but are ok smoked or in fish patties, i have an Asian friend who took one to eat and after a fair bit of preparation said it was ok.

Hopefully they will be around for a while so we can all have a crack at them, cheers wayne

Youngy

They are great to eat if smoked correctly. Being married to a kiwi i have fished for them many times in NZ and my father in law used to serve up Smoked Kahwai sandwiches for brekky - bloody wonderful!

Cheers

Mike

hey youngy put this post up on ncf and wait for squidgie palmers reaction, your ears will burn.

:lol: I think youngys` fellow BnB scribe Tye Porter would be able to fill a BnB issue cover to cover on his "unbiased" :whistle: ) view on them. :lol::lol:

Hi Fishingnut, haven't caught a lot of Queenfish to compare but they both jump, i would say Queenies are quicker.

Salmon would certainly be more determined and stubborn, they tend to get deep under the boat like a Trev, more than happy to catch both species.

Off the ones i have caught i would say better than the first Queenie photo but no where near as good as the second, cheers wayne

post-7760-144598640967_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598640987_thumb.jpg

Hi Fishingnut, haven't caught a lot of Queenfish to compare but they both jump, i would say Queenies are quicker.

Salmon would certainly be more determined and stubborn, they tend to get deep under the boat like a Trev, more than happy to catch both species.

Off the ones i have caught i would say better than the first Queenie photo but no where near as good as the second, cheers wayne

[attachment=36274]IMG_0504_2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=36275]erik040.jpg[/attachment]

Hahahaha... Utter beast Youngy!

Archived