Man missing as boat sinks off Brisbane

kamarshark

I found this in todays news, I hope they locate the missing fisherman.

Police have stepped up the search for a man who went missing after the boat he was fishing from sank off Nudgee beach on Brisbane's north side.

Another man, who was also aboard the dinghy, waded to shore through knee-deep water to raise the alarm about 8pm (AEST) on Wednesday.

The search resumed on Thursday morning, a police spokeswoman said.

SES volunteers had joined the search and the aerial surveillance on Wednesday, which would resume, she said.

The missing man is described as being up to 182 centimetres tall, of thin build with a receding hair line. He was wearing shorts and a black jacket.

Police are appealing for anyone who may have seen this man in the area on Wednesday night to make contact.

Just seen the news looks like a old glass boat, would been interesting to see if and why he didn't walk back to the beach with the guy who got back in also, not real deep around there. I also wonder if they had all the safety gear a life jacket may have saved him or maybe a a flare going up would have someone come and check it out. I go out from there and come back at night I've almost cleaned up a few local boats as they don't run any lights only reason that I run don't them straight over is I know a few locals always sit in the middle of the channel fishing & it's a pain to get around them as it's pretty shallow coming in, and that's from a fair way out also!! I just hope they weren't booze up as I witness a few times there back at the ramp. I hope they find the guy alive!! I know we bitch about the cops giving us a hard time about our safety gear & 360dg around light, flares etc but this may be a prefect example as to why we need this stuff I hope everything turns out ok but they are still looking for him.

Steve

This is from the qld police, i dont get how 1 walked to shore and the other didnt. Something has happened that is not being told.

Police are currently coordinating a search for a man missing from a small boat at Nudgee last night.

Two men were fishing around 7pm in a small dinghy in front of Nudgee Beach when the boat started to sink in shallow water.

One man managed to walk ashore but lost sight of his companion and contacted police.

Water police conducted a sea and air search of the area but failed to locate the man last night.

The missing man is described a being 5-6 foot tall, thin build with a receding hair line. He was wearing shorts and a black jacket.

Police are appealing for anyone who may have seen this man in the area last night to make contact.

Water Police will continue the search this morning.

Bloody hell that would be a nightmare as there are heaps of bullys around!

I don't wear a lifejacket during the day (Although we should!) but at night its the first thing I put on, I purchased a realy good comfortable PFD and attached strobe, whistle, little mirror in the pocket. I also keep some flippers with my lifejackets, so if I have to swim for it hopefully they will help......

I hope they find this guy...

According to ch9 news alcohol was involved and he lived in a tent in the mangroves.

Had a bit of a laugh when they called the boat i tinny its an old glass dingy with great lumps missing out of the side.

Still a needless loss of life and a thankless job for involved in the search.

Cheers

Ray

Just saw the news, the man is found.

A MAN who went missing after the boat he was fishing in sank off Nudgee beach on Brisbane's north side has been found unharmed.

Police say the man, who was reported missing last night, has contacted police and is safe and well.

A second man aboard the dinghy waded to shore through knee-deep water to raise the alarm at about 8pm (AEST) yesterday.

Police and emergency workers spent today searching for the man.

Well I'm glad to hear he is safe, but the whole thing is a bit odd, and it's a shame the police, SES and coast guard were out all day when he was safe on land.

Thats great news he's safe and sound, we are so lucky to live in a country where we have people like the SES & Coast Guard :)

Cheers

Darren

...... I also keep some flippers with my lifejackets, so if I have to swim for it hopefully they will help......

At first I thought that was a good idea. Then I realised it would make you look even more like a seal :pinch:

:lol::lol: lucky no seals around here! i have all ways kept a set in the boat as it makes it easier to make ground against tidal flow or off shore currants ;) all so makes it easier if you have to save someone :)

Archived