main line and leader sizes

poohbear

I'm just wondering what is the reasoning behind main line and leader sizes.

For example, i see that some ppl here uses 4 pound main line with 10 pound leader, does that mean the weakest point is the 4 pound? so anything that pulls harder than 4 pound will snap the line?

so what's the point of having a heavier leader then??

thanks guys!

Using a light main-line enables anglers who are using lightly weighted lures to cast further. I generally stick with 4lb mainline and varies from 4-6-8lb leader depending what kind of country im in.

For flats and places where fish can't run i'll stick with 4lb or 2lb; some rocks i'll go 6 and nasty areas i'll go 8lb. Like above, people use leaders as a shock absorber once the fish hits - and also for added abbrasion resistance.

I guess the weakest point will be how well you tie your leader > mainline knot - most fish will wear through the leader but on many occasions once a jack hits they pull so hard my leader knot pops =(

Also to answer your - if anything pulls harder than 4lb will it snap the line? I'm gonna go with NO. As with your example of 4lb/10lb then you can put a significant amount of hurt on a fish by having the knowledge that your 10lb should handle a few cuts and scuffs before it snaps but i'm not sure how to answer this bit so i'll see what other people have to say.

I reckon once your running a heavier leader than either the leader lb or your leader-mainline knot will be the determining factor.

The leader is for as mentioned earlier abrasion resistance and invisability. Braided mainline is almost always a bright colour with the exeption of the greys and greens. If you look at it in really clear water it looks twice the size but if you look at the mono leader material it is invisable almost. If you are using your drag corectly the mainline shouldnt break unless it comes into contact with something sharp.

Only my thoughts I am certainly no esxpert

Archived