Joining two braids together??

dansike

I run 90lb Tuffline XP on my Stella 18000 for heavy GT popping and jigging for Dogtooth. I need to replace the braid on about 3/4 of my spool. Instead of replacing the whole lot, does anyone know of a RELIABLE way to join two braids of the same diameter? Keeping in mind, it MUST be as reliable as possible!! Even though the join will be a long way down on the spool, there is still the chance of getting to the join when hooked up to a big fish. I know I can join them using 2 "bimini twists" and a "cats paw" to connect them together, which is easily done. My question is...will this be strong enough?? Or should I just replace the whole lot??

Dan

i know the feeling here, i use a few different methods but do not trust none of em so i back the drag off a bit when the knot is out during the fight, once the knot is back on the spool with at least 50mtrs back on i crank the drag up to finish the fight. mind you though i am not playing with huge gt and only using 30 or 50lb braid with top up lines on them.. will be interested to see what info is shared on this :)

back the drag off a bit when the knot is out during the fight, once the knot is back on the spool with at least 50mtrs back on i crank the drag up to finish the fight.
Cheers Wes, that's good in theory. The only problem being, how the hell do I get my line back on a big fish with my drag backed off? Very slowly I guess :) but it can still be done. I'm thinking I'll just replace the whole lot though. Just in case :) I'll just use all of the old braid to practice some new knots :)

Yep don't do it not worth it.

Just spool up with some new kick ar$e expensive braid. The cost will will still be cheap compared to the pain caused by a lost fish of a life time. Think about how much an offshore trip costs in time, effort and fuel.

If you absolutely must join by bimini in braid to albright heavy leader albright to bimini in other braid.

if you're really desparate and need to save the cash try a pr knot; just keep in mind that it might give in when you hook a monster!

PR give way? haha ive never heard of that happening... not on a properly tied PR anyway...

and anywayz PR is a braid to heavy mono knot for jigging and popping... dont think it works as a braid to braid...

Yep don't do it not worth it.

Just spool up with some new kick ar$e expensive braid. The cost will will still be cheap compared to the pain caused by a lost fish of a life time. Think about how much an offshore trip costs in time, effort and fuel.

i totally agree... spend the money and you'll be rewarded with a big smile for a big fish...

however if you really have to you can try the "Double Centuri Knot"

its perfect for braid of the same/similar diameters and it retains quite alot of strength... ~80%

so if you're using 50lb braid... technically you can have your drag at 35lb / 16kg (thats heaps!) and it shouldnt give way...

/>http://www.marinews.com/fishing-knots/centauri-knot/317/

/>http://www.marinews.com/fishing-knots/double-centauri-knot/252/

if you're really desparate and need to save the cash try a pr knot; just keep in mind that it might give in when you hook a monster!

PR give way? haha ive never heard of that happening... not on a properly tied PR anyway...

and anywayz PR is a braid to heavy mono knot for jigging and popping... dont think it works as a braid to braid...

not saying the pr will give way. I said he can try a pr to join the braids if hes desperate.

90lb Tuffline probably breaks at 120lb + doubt you could break a bimini double cats paw over any rod with a stella 18000.

I saw some guy losing the fish of a lifetime at 3kings like that.

if you're interested I might be able to get some ygk ultra jigman or nitlon for maybe 20% off retail, have to confirm with my supplier though.

Decision is made. I'm replacing the lot!! I'm not taking any risks. Even though I reckon the join could have held, there is always the "possibility" of something going wrong!! Not only would i lose my fish, but my line as well. Not so good when I'm out on a remote Island in Fiji.

Archived