Sounder/Gps combo advice

spilt milk

Hey guys i'm in the process of looking for a new sounder for my tinny, i have narrowed my choices down to the Lowrance hds 5 or the Elite 5 DSI and just wanting to get peoples opinions on the two.Also does anyone know if the dsi just does down scanning or does it do regular sonar imaging as well?

Are there any other brands like hummingbird etc that people would recommend for around the $1000 mark? I mostly fish in the bay/estuaries and am after a gps combo as well.

Cheers in advance

Dave

mate not sure what boat u have got but i would recommend havin 2 seperate units if you are only going to get a 5 inch screen combo.i had a 7 inch combo and it was on the small size when u split the screen.for 1000 i recon u would go close to 2 seperate units in the 5 inch screen size,just my 2 cents worth

cheers rosco

Ideally two seperate units would be the go but i don't think i would be able to afford the two. My main reason for upgrade is to get a better sounder, the gps is a bonus and i would only really be using it for saving marks. My boats only a 3.9m tinny that i use to bash around the creeks and out to mud etc

I might go for a drive down to bcf and have a look at some of them in person might help me out a bit.

mate I have the dsi it is a great unit, Split screen for GPS and Sounder is not a problem. I find it a lot easier than 2 units you only have to look at one screen I had 2 seperate unit befor this one and wouldn't go back. The 5 dsi only does down scan but the clarity and detail is unbelievable. You can add structure scan to the HD units later but it means fitting a structure scan box and cabling and a pretty hefty cost almost $600 last time i looked at it so it may have come down a bit. The navioncs gold maps are exellent too and included in the price of the unit Hummingbird you have to buy the map card seperate to the unit.

Hope the info is useful.

Rick ;)

Cheers for all the responses boys. I ended up going down to bcf for a look and walked away with the hds 5 and navionics gold card. The manager gave me a deal i couldnt refuse.

The DSI looked pretty good too, i got a bit turned off by only having downscan (although it looks pretty sweet) but i just thought the hds looked like a better option for me and hopefully down the track il add the structure scan.

Thanks again

dave

Archived