Heading to the US - any purchase suggestions?

thousandyards

heading to the US in 6 weeks - LA and NYC (plus vegas and grand canyon). Anyone got any ideas/suggestions for fishing related purchases over there? not taking orders unfortunately, just after ideas on what's worth buying over there with the price difference......thinking hardbodies and maybe reels might be a good place to start....

I was over there last year. If you are in Manhatten look up the Tackle Shop there. Capital Tackle - 132 W 36th St

It is the only tackle shop in NYC (on the island) and the guys are great - spent hours in there swapping fishing stories with them and got invited for a fish - couldn't though work to do.

Everything is cheaper there but specifically Reels, Braid, Lures - I was buying Yozuri Lures for $7 that cost $25 over here.

They have a sale on at the moment too so worth checking out. No sure about LA but I think the is a Cabelas or Bass Warehouse there. I know the Bass warehouse in San FRanciso is the size of a Bunnings here

Have a fun trip!!!

Your best bet is to look at things like line, reels, hardbodies, etc. Rods are not going to be worth it because they usually end up being over length and the cost to get them back on the plane is ridiculous. If you do find a smoking deal on a rod, go to a post office and mail it to yourself; you'll likely beat it home.

Keep customs in mind as well. If you have too much in your bag when you come back, you'll have to either have a certificate of origin (proving made in an FTA country) or show that it was bought at a duty free store / has not been opened or used.

How long are you going to be in LA and NY? My wife is originally from San Diego and has friends living there still, so there is a good chance we would be able to get one of them to take you out for a fish. I've got a good mate who is originally from NY and still has family there, not as likely that we could get you out for a fish there, but still worth a try. :)

Regardless, you absolutely MUST visit a Bass Pro Shop while there. Cabela's is more central US so you probably won't get a good chance at one of those. Another good place to visit is Scheel's; their larger stores are fun but most of them don't have the live tanks and mounted animal displays that you'd see at BassPro or Cabela's.

Are LA and NY the only places you are going to hit? If you are doing a driving trip, let me know and I'll make sure to get you in touch with some folks and/or secret spots along the way for some seriously good times!

Your best bet is to look at things like line, reels, hardbodies, etc. Rods are not going to be worth it because they usually end up being over length and the cost to get them back on the plane is ridiculous. If you do find a smoking deal on a rod, go to a post office and mail it to yourself; you'll likely beat it home.

Keep customs in mind as well. If you have too much in your bag when you come back, you'll have to either have a certificate of origin (proving made in an FTA country) or show that it was bought at a duty free store / has not been opened or used.

How long are you going to be in LA and NY? My wife is originally from San Diego and has friends living there still, so there is a good chance we would be able to get one of them to take you out for a fish. I've got a good mate who is originally from NY and still has family there, not as likely that we could get you out for a fish there, but still worth a try. :)

Regardless, you absolutely MUST visit a Bass Pro Shop while there. Cabela's is more central US so you probably won't get a good chance at one of those. Another good place to visit is Scheel's; their larger stores are fun but most of them don't have the live tanks and mounted animal displays that you'd see at BassPro or Cabela's.

Are LA and NY the only places you are going to hit? If you are doing a driving trip, let me know and I'll make sure to get you in touch with some folks and/or secret spots along the way for some seriously good times!

thanks heaps Gary. i don't think the missus will be too stoked if i spend all the time fishing haha. we're just going to be cruising around being tourists so i won't worry with the fishing, but it sounds like i might get lost in a bass pro shop for a few hours.......can't wait!!

anyone know if Jackall lures are available over there? price difference?

Archived