80mile out seamount (gamefishing)

Shimanobwoie

Got woken up a moment ago by a phone call from a very good mate. The first thing he said was we are going fishing from wednesday to friday and that was all he said so was thinking we were going to camp on bribe. After a few questions turns out we are heading to the big seamount 80miles from newport mariner. Its quite a special place there isnt to many people that have actually been out so who knows how the fishing is going to be. It comes out from km's deep up to 200mtrs. Fingers crossed for catching the first 1000lb marlin down this way also chances of getting a broadbill, blue eye trevella and big yellowfin.

I cant wait for the trip of a lifetime :cheer:

You can spot it from google earth its almost inline with the cape.

That will be a great trip,especially if you are going to anchor up on the seamount through the night.

All the Broadbill I caught were within 10m of the bottom but you wouldn't try and fish that close with rod and reel as the pickers will clean up your baits all the time and drive you insane winding up all the time to rebait.

30-50m off the bottom would be ideal with whole large squid or large squid heads and a large cyalume stick a meter or 2 above the bait.

Green ones always worked best for me for Broadies but the blue-eye loved the red ones too.

You can also catch a load of Yellowfin on the bottom as they also go deep on the seamounts and feed on the deep water squid.

Large Oilfish are also a common capture at night on any seamount/mountain but be careful of their scales if you boat one as every scale is like a razor blade and can cause a nasty injury if handled incorrectly.Something you dont want that far out or on a big trip like that.

Something to check out on every seamount along the Eastern Seaboard is the N.E Corner of the seamount.

Currents flowing down the East coast hit the NE corner of these seamounts and cause massive upwellings of nutrient rich water and most often this is the area where you will get the most Broadbill and other large pelagics.

You will also find congregations of Blue-eye along the N.E corners sitting on any peaks or crevices.

During a full moon the blue-eye will tend to spread out across the tops of a seamount and can often be found anywhere,often not even on structure and laying out on the mud.

Look down the canyon walls for any fish or bait schools and get a bait into them as well,don't just concentrate on the top of the seamount as quite often the fish will move off the top and lay down the drop offs.

You should also hopefully get some large Bass Groper,Hapuka and if it is only 200m on top maybe Bar Cod there as well.

If your sounder won't show fish or bait schools up don't worry about it,just look for good structure and pinnicles and fish them and you will catch fish.

Squid,octopus,small cuttlefish cut in half,tuna cut baits and salmon cut baits are the very best baits out there on the bottom.

Good luck,you will have an incredible trip and hopefully catch and see a lot of fish you never dream t of before.

Lance

Thanks for that info Lance,I hope it`s appreciated,there would have been alot of time and experimented effort put in to gain that knowledge.

Thanks Gad.

Yea mate,I had 17 years solid of fishing the deepwater grounds.

I have caught and seem some incredible fish from out there over the years.

I loved the deepwater,it is a world of its own fishing down there especially out in 320 fathom,there's some very strange creatures to catch.

Archived