First offshore trip in new boat wed 4/7

dhess

After a positive test drive we ended up going halves in a 5.6m plate boat with a friend.

Unfortunately he couldn't make it so went out with my better half Mel and another friend Ramon.

We launched at Bribie at 3 am and had a super smooth trip across a glassy Moreton Bay. Once out past Cape Moreton the swell didn't get over 0.5m with nice light winds.

At first we had a drop in one spot that had a few shows on the sounder but didn't manage to hook anything but a few deep sea flathead.

We moved on and ended up finding a nice drop off in 75-90m of water south of the cape.

Instantly we were onto some snapper. The action lasted for about an hour and a half before dying. Mel and Ramon were happy to catch their first offshore fish.

I lost two fish that felt significantly heavier than the best fish of the day.:angry: but was still happy to catch a few fish on my first attempt at skippering an offshore trip.

After the fish went off the bite we trolled a few large hardbodied lures towards and around Flinders Reef. No action but whales started popping up everywhere with at least a dozen sighted.

All in all we had a great day. Wish we had fished the second spot to begin with.

Next trip we are hoping to hit Deep Tempest.

dhess wrote:

Mate nice Pearl Perch. Yum Yum.

Sounds like you had a top time, yahooo, I must say I'm a little jealous.

Do us a favour an you post some shots of your new toy in the boating section, please. And I would love to hear all about it. You know things like: seats, electrics, motor and fuel consumption, bang factor, stability at rest, crossing the bars, all that sort of stuff. Cheers.

Archived