Some FNQ fishing spots

tiotony

A post was put up a little while ago with Tinaroo spots so thought I'd throw some up myself for anybody visiting Cairns.

post-6937-144598742269_thumb.jpg

This first spot is Moody Creek at Earlville. Pick an early morning high tide and fish off the little pedestrian bridge. Flick plastics right up under the highway bridge. There are always jacks and GT's here at that time, also some unknown species that regularly nearly spool me before blowing me away. gulp shrimp work great here.

post-6937-144598742606_thumb.jpg

This is Clarkes creek at Earlville just around the corner from the previous spot. Heaps of jungle perch in this creek but they are even more shy than usual so you need to do really long casts so they don't see you. Also loaded with tillies, and occassionally little barra and jacks. Beware heaps of taipans around here and I have also seen a big croc in this creek.

post-6937-144598742614_thumb.jpg

This is the mouth of Barr creek between Holloways and Machans beach in dry season. In and after wet season the sand is washed away at the wall that the arrow is pointing to and is pretty deep. There are a lot of barra hanging around here then. This is also a great spot to use yabbies close to shore at dawn and dusk for grunter, blue and king salmon, and little jew (which are similar to river perch but a bit bigger). You can pump yabbies where shown but its a lot of work for few yabbies. Also when the mouth of Barr creek opens up its a good place to drift out a live mullet with the current on the first half of the runout tide for barra and salmon, but hammerheads and blacktips can be a real nuiscance.

post-6937-144598742621_thumb.jpg

This is the old Kamerunga bridge at Caravonica at the upper tidal limit of the Barron river. Taken me ages to get this spot worked out but have discovered there are heaps of barra hanging around right in the snags built up on the bridge pylons- lots of snags but plenty of fish. Its also not too bad for jacks at night and good for bream at night in winter. If you want to give them a try literally thousands of milkfish pass through here at dusk. Also if you want to see a croc in the wild go down there with a torch at night- every single time I have been night fishing there I have seen at least two crocs. There also seems to be a lot of barra activity in the shallows at night but haven't given them a try yet.

Hope this helps someone out.

Some good info there mate, I'm guessing JP's are pretty thick in your neck of the woods ;)

yeah JP's are really common, every coastal creek seems to hold them

Good to hear that spots don't have to be guarded with your life then. They are a beautiful fish, I really wish we had some decent populations further south.

Archived