P&O Cruise - Pacific Dawn - Fishing???

TheLazyboy

On all the cruises that I have been on the only fishing trips were offered on a royal carribean cruise to nz at at almost 3 times the price that you could do it locally.

Holland America didnt offer any fishing trips to any pacific islands.

I would recommend that you do it yourself. Take into consideration the fact that whilst the ship may get into port at 6am you may not be allowed to disembark after all the passengers who have booked tours on board have disembarked.

Cheers

Ray

On all the cruises that I have been on the only fishing trips were offered on a royal carribean cruise to nz at at almost 3 times the price that you could do it locally.

Holland America didnt offer any fishing trips to any pacific islands.

I would recommend that you do it yourself. Take into consideration the fact that whilst the ship may get into port at 6am you may not be allowed to disembark after all the passengers who have booked tours on board have disembarked.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks ray. Am i able to bring like a travling rod and find my own spots? or i wait till i get to land and book so its cheaper?

i also found one tour but its pretty $$$$. http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacruise/shoretours/Pages/ShoreTour.aspx?ShoreTour=VLI-120

Customs and security wont worry about rods and fishing tackle.

I have found that customs and security at cruise terminals easier to deal with than at airports.

I have knee implant and it always sets off the metal detector.

At airport

remove shoes get them xrayed

remove belt.

Wave the wand over you

stand on one leg and lift foot then the other one

Get patted down.

Cruise terminal tell them you have knee - wave wand over you and get patted down if wearing long daks.

I took my own gear when i flew to Fiji in December, you'll have no dramas with customs just make sure all your gear is clean etc...

You don't want a lure with some old weed stuck too it as customs won't like that lol

On your customs card is asks if you have equipment that has been in contact with fish or something along those lines, I said yes and never once got my gear checked anyway !

make sure you have a good rod case that can take a beating

yeah im boarding from hamilton in brisbane. Do you know if its easy to bring rods on and off the boat( with customs and stuff)

did the same cruise your doing and didnt have a problem with rods etc. but they did take my needle nose pliers (no big deal)

tryed fishing from wharf at port villa and that was a no go.

lifou only has a few spots from land as most of it has no fishing zones.

dont know about noumea the boat couldnt stop there,so we missed out on that one.

and usally dosnt get there until late in the arvo so prob wouldnt have much time for a fish.

i'll be doing the same cruise this year and leaving the rods at home.

i think your best bet is for a charter if u can.

good luck.

yeah im boarding from hamilton in brisbane. Do you know if its easy to bring rods on and off the boat( with customs and stuff)

did the same cruise your doing and didnt have a problem with rods etc. but they did take my needle nose pliers (no big deal)

tryed fishing from wharf at port villa and that was a no go.

lifou only has a few spots from land as most of it has no fishing zones.

dont know about noumea the boat couldnt stop there,so we missed out on that one.

and usally dosnt get there until late in the arvo so prob wouldnt have much time for a fish.

i'll be doing the same cruise this year and leaving the rods at home.

i think your best bet is for a charter if u can.

good luck.

Dam, did you end up getting any fish? do you have to buy the tours off the boat or can you go to the place and get it cheaper by doing it your self?

You can book tours on the boat book then yourself on land. If You book on the boat they will get you off the boat on to the tour and then back to the boat before it leaves. If you book on land you don't have any of those guarantees.

Eg... if your charter is late getting back to port, you may well miss the transfer and subsequently the ship.

I found the shore days were the best days to stay on the boat.

• 3 months later...

Thought it was easier to "bump" this thread than start a new one..

The wife if looking to book for early July P&O cruise, any further thoughts on best fishing charter day options or should I wave some currency at a local with a boat to handline on the reefs?

Archived