Shimano ci4 3000 horrible line spooling

Homer4duff

I've just spooled up with 15lb Spiderwire Stealth Braid and the reel looks a mess and it can't be the braid. It's on a brand new Shimano ci4 3000 reel. When the line was first spooled it was tapering towards the top of the spool (more line at the bottom) so I took all the line off, removed 2 washers and respooled which seemed to make it more even.

After about an hours normal use it's ended up looking like this!

post-9629-144598754292_thumb.jpg

All in all not happy and am wondering if the reel is faulty? My stradic 2500FJ is perfect compared to this.

Did you put backing on? My money is on the line slipping on the spool. The shims would have been what made it spool 'top heavy', removing them was the right move.

Try winding it off, put some mono or fluoro backing on (the stretch allows it to grip the spool) then re spool the braid ontop

hahahahaha nice!!! i normally put it on a rod and get a mate to run all the line off down the road, then put about 1/5th of spool covered in like 10lb mono which is called ' backing' if you didnt know, then tightern the drag and wined the line of as tight as possible..

Good luckkk this time ;) hahah

hope this hepls

PS, you could also winded it onto another spool.. but i much prefer to hear the drag scream.

are you fishing plastics? a minor thing that people forget (particularly with light lines) is that when you hop plastics along the braid doesn't pack tightly back onto the spool. i like to retrieve the plastic under a bit of tension every 10 casts or so (or when i can see/feel) that it's starting to loop a bit on the spool.

jords could also be on the money re: backing.

Thanks guys, yep there is backing on the spool, about 1/4 of a spool of Platypus Super-100 mono which matches the braid diameter pretty well perfectly.

Hmm

I did put pressure on the line when winding the line on through the rod guides to try and get it tight but only as tight as my finger would allow before getting burned :-)

EDIT: Yea all fishing done on plastics yesterday

EDIT2: Line backing is 10lb

Archived