Punt removable casting deck on the cheap - updated

WayneD

So I bought this little 10ft punt and the first time out I had everything just piled in and everything got in the way when trying to enter exit the bow of the boat or trying to do the anchor. So I was thinking about a "casting" deck, which I won't really use for a casting deck seeing as how it's going to be my sharking rig, but it will also serve as storage area (and maybe a snooze area). Typically I had a piece of ply sitting around for about three years before I threw it out on my last dump run. So I went off to Bunnings.

Now this boat only cost me $300 so I don't want to spend a fortune to do it. I looked at 2mm 25x25 ally angle $11 for 1mtr. Nah too dear by the time I get enough, besides the boat is 1.15 wide. Rang up my old work $10.90/lm for 50x50 ally angle 3mm thick. Better but still going to cost a bit. So I gave up on that idea and went to check out the ply. Only needed a 1200x1200 piece but they sell most of the thicker stuff by 2400x1200. As I was walking back inside I spotted it. Non-structural ply 1200x1200 12mm, was $17 now $5. Now that's what I am looking for!!! Couldn't get my wallet out fast enough, man I am a tight axx.

Get it home and start racking my brains what I could use as supports. Didn't want to use the mountain of steel I have at home for obvious reasons. I have plenty of sheet ally but didn't want to bugger around cutting and folding 2mm ally as it's a pain in the axx doing it at home. Checked the garage and the shed and then behind the shed, bingo, maybe...

100x38 pine fence rail? What the hell I'll give it a go. Cut it to size, cut out to sit on the sides of the boat, whack the sheet on top for a test run. Went fine, no flex, no dramas.

So what do you reckon? I mean the boat is only going to get used every other weekend. A few screws to hold it together, some sealant that I already have maybe a bit of carpet if I ever get around to it. Instant removable casting deck. What do you reckon? Ugly but effective? Any downsides that people see to it? It's not like the boat is going to be cruising around at the speed of light with a 44lb electric on it.

1. It will raise the centre of gravity on the deck but like I said it is mainly for ease of entry/exit.

2. Non structural ply, does this really matter? Supports are at 500 centres. I could lash out and get another sheet to double strengthen it but this would add a lot more weight.

3. Do I need to tie/clip/bungy it to the boat for safety?

post-1190-144598756502_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598756509_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598756514_thumb.jpg

And the front piece of stud should go the full width of the bow

Or better still screw the stud to the front of the seat and allow for the thickness of the ply so it sits flush with the top of the seat and sit it on the bottom of the boat where it curls up up the front.

Its easy enough to screw that stud onto the bottom of the ply as stiffners from the seat to the front.

And seal it realy well....it's going to warp either way if it's not fastened down to anything

My only suggestion is to get some carpet or some other grippy material as wet ply can be a bit slippery.

Otherwise sounds suitable for purpose. Is it heavy enough to stay down ?

Definately heavy enough, only powered by electric. A strong wind gust might make it a projectile though. Carpet will probably be the go. Nicer to have a snooze on too.

And the front piece of stud should go the full width of the bow

Yep already got a different bit of timber cut for that realized that off cut wasn't going to cut it.

If I lower the floor to seat height it dramatically cuts down on storage area so therefore it looses it's functionality.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep em coming.

awesome idea, my father being a welding inspector and all with a boat like this of his own went for a alloy frame for it and actually welding it or mounting it to the boat with bolts and what not. Also we have it mounted under the rim cause it is very front end heavy when you are standing up the front. Although very stabile. And carpet is the way to go.

Wish i had one of my own. :side:

From Jack

Does it have to be removeable?

I would be stacking some of those bits of timber on the front of the seat to get it to the height of top of your boat, then screw another piece in the middle about where it is now, but level with the top of the boat not over like it is now, then hinge it from the front. That way it will hinge open from the front, for easy access to storage, the middle beam and seat will be enough support to hold you up. If the doesn't make sense let me know and I will try and draw it

You may have to psych yourself up to spending another $20 on some hinges, but it will look better and be more functional

OK so here is what I have done.

I bought a metre of 25x40x1.6mm aluminium from Bunnings. Cut it into 100mm pieces and screwed four bits to either side of the tinny. This is to hold the support beams and the deck in place. I then got 4 pieces of 140x19mm pine and cut to size to fit on the support braces. I then shaped the 12mm ply to the shape of the inside of the deck and screwed it to the support beams.

I then got some stainless steel saddles that I had and screwed four of them to the top of the board and used bungee to hold the deck down. I topped it off with some marine carpet that I scored cheap to make it look schmick. The carpet I overlapped to cover all the edges and bow of the boat in an effort to stop water getting in should it rain. I cut a hole so that the saddles poke through the carpet and the bungees that hold the deck in place also hold the carpet in place. This will make the carpet easier to both clean and dry as it is not permanently attached to the deck.

The result I am very happy with. Plenty of storage underneath, I now have a 1200mm long casting deck which comfortably holds my weight and it is a great size for laying down and having a snooze should the fishing be slow. To access the storage area I just unclip the bungee's near the seat and lift it, the bungee in front acts as a hinge.

Here's some pics.

Bare boat hull

post-1190-144598757551_thumb.jpg

Deck underside

post-1190-144598757561_thumb.jpg

Deck in place

post-1190-144598757565_thumb.jpg

Carpet on all ready to rumble

post-1190-14459875757_thumb.jpg

Ply $5.01

Pine supports $12.96

Aluminium angle $8.30

Marine Carpet $14.00 (for 3.6 x 1.4 piece 2nd hand but looks brand new, still got heaps left, will cut some out for floor mats)

Bungee, clips, hooks $6:30

Everything else I already had - saddles, screws, rivets, timber sealant and whatever else I have forgotten)

So all up my deck has cost me $46.57. I know it's not the best timber to use and realistically if I have to replace the ply and/or support boards every year who cares. It's only $20 worth of timber!!!

Just cut down the rest of the carpet to lay on the floor and seats. Buggered up my last cut on the centre seat and cut it short by 100mm. Not enough carpet left to do it again. It's gonna annoy me every time I go fishing and I see it.

Thinking I might glue the seat carpet down and make it permanent otherwise it might get annoying if it moves around a bit. What would be best to use (again going with the cheap option, like whatever is in most people's garage/shed).

post-1190-144598757576_thumb.jpg

looks great!, where'd ya get the carpet from?? got like 2 m spare i can buy off you?

Sorry Runty I ended up using it all

The place I got it from is at Yeerongpilly. 38489994 is their phone number. Some king of Demolition place can't remember the name. $5 a square metre, bargain. I rang them up and they said the smallest roll they had was 2.4mx2.18m and it was going to cost $26. I told them it was bigger than I needed but I was going to take it anyway at that price. When I got there they had found a smaller roll roll that had 2.2mx1.3m on it so I grabbed that instead for $14. When I rolled it out it was actually 3.6mx1.4m. So I ended up only paying $2.80/m2.

My piece of carpet looked brand new, not even any glue or anything on it. I didn't see the other pieces but it is well worth a phone call or a drive to look at. Don't think they would be open on weekends though, maybe give them a call this arvo and find out. Cash only too, no eftpos although they did offer a receipt if I wanted it.

looks great!, where'd ya get the carpet from?? got like 2 m spare i can buy off you?

Sorry Runty I ended up using it all

The place I got it from is at Yeerongpilly. 38489994 is their phone number. Some king of Demolition place can't remember the name. $5 a square metre, bargain. I rang them up and they said the smallest roll they had was 2.4mx2.18m and it was going to cost $26. I told them it was bigger than I needed but I was going to take it anyway at that price. When I got there they had found a smaller roll roll that had 2.2mx1.3m on it so I grabbed that instead for $14. When I rolled it out it was actually 3.6mx1.4m. So I ended up only paying $2.80/m2.

My piece of carpet looked brand new, not even any glue or anything on it. I didn't see the other pieces but it is well worth a phone call or a drive to look at. Don't think they would be open on weekends though, maybe give them a call this arvo and find out. Cash only too, no eftpos although they did offer a receipt if I wanted it.

WOW!!!! that is amazing! i went into whitworths today and its like 45 bucks a metre.......

yeerongpilly is a yard and a half away as i am northside :( but ill give em a ring anyway

thanks alot for that! its looking really good

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Al. The old saying good from far but far from good is applicable. The carpet covers it all anyway.

Installed a Scotty bracket to the front of the punt today, so I can use my Scotty Anchor Lock that is normally used on my kayak. This will make it even easier to deploy and retrieve the anchor as I can now do it from my back seat, rather than laying on my deck and trying to tie the anchor off to the handle on the front (awkward). I have reinforced the back of the bracket with some cutting board so it should be able to handle the strain. I am going to try it out in the Logan this arvo. I have both a 1/2 size anchor and a 4kg block of lead that I could use with it.

Here's a clip showing you how it works.
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezaXCScI3MA

post-1190-144598760002_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598760005_thumb.jpg

Archived