Landing sharks in a boat

WayneD

Ok so I am out on the Logan in my punt. First two sharks I have landed I used a landing net. They make a bit of a mess and my net now has a hole bit through it. What's the best way? Anyone tail grab them? They are only little fellas but they can still give a nasty bite.

no worries,but personally if you are going to release a shark just cut the line as close as possable to the hook while still in the water and let it go..why bring a shark in the boat if you are going to release it anyway...u do them more halm by bringig them in the boat as the hook will rust out in a few days

If you have a cast net. Use the loop at the end as if you were throwing the net except make the loop large enough to fit around the wad of the shark. When it's against the boat slip it over the but of your rod and over the tip and down the line until its around the shark then pull and it will tighten on it then you can pull it in. You can make one out of just normal rope if you don't have a cast net. Also if your worried

It will affect the shark when you release it, don't. Have had a few of my Shaka recaptured ( i tag) and there doing fine.

Pat

u do them more halm by bringig them in the boat as the hook will rust out in a few days

I'm not sure where this information comes from :unsure: I understand some hooks will rust out quicker than others depending on the material the hook is made out of, but even then, I think a few days is a little hopeful.

I have caught smaller bullies with hooks still in their chompers a few times in the past. I remember one in particular, it was a bully in the 4 foot range with 3 sets of hooks in it, excluding my own. Some of them looked like they had been there quite a while.

I can't see how bringing it aboard for a short period, removing the hooks and releasing it quickly is going to cause more harm than leaving it out there with hooks in its gob.

WayneD, if they're only small sharks I'd personally just tail grab them in one hand, and use your other hand to support their main body weight underneath them. Not many sharks can bite their own tail, lemon sharks are about the most likely ones I can think of at this moment. Just be aware though that they'll go spastic as soon as you grab them by the tail. If they're larger sharks, I'd probably consider keeping them in the water and using pliers (or some other longer tool) to remove the hook from the fish in the water.

Thanks Terry. I decided to test the tail grab theory on the last shark of the day. Worked a treat and yes they go ballistic just like a Mackeral when you grab it. Ended up with a double hookup at the end and had two to deal with in the boat. It was a fun afternoon. Lovin my little punt!!

Archived