One for the mechanics.Advice please.

rayke1938

Having ongoing problems with my 2.7 petrol hilux 3rz engine.See prev post.

The mechanic reconditioned the head and after 400k the motor started blowing white smoke.

The mechanic who repaired motor is away so I went to another mechanic who diagnosed water in no 3 cylinder.

I sent an email to first mechanic and he has just responded that the problem will probably be cylinder block.

If the block was cracked or warped should he not have picked this up when he pulled the motor down and how will i know if he is having a lend of me?

If I knew that the block was also faulty I would have just got a second hand motor fitted in the first place now it looks like I may have chucked 2k away and am still up for another motor plus fitting charges.

Cheers

Ray

Is there water in number 3 due to a dodgy repair on the head or has it been there for some time? If it has been there for a while then there would quite possibly be pitting in the bores which the original mechanic should have noticed, I certainly noticed mine. If it is a new leak then it is possible that it would have gone unnoticed with the head being the priority, obviously if it is a result of a dodgy head repair then it is the original mechanics problem.

How much of a lip was there on the top of the bore? I find it hard to believe that a block issue wasn't noticeable when the head was off. I would look over his shoulder while the head comes off and make sure its not just a failed head gasket

• 3 weeks later...

Well today is the day that I should get the old girl back.

When I got back from Borumba the mechanic said that the reconditioned head was leaking under a valve seat in no3 cylinder.

When he pulled the head off there was water in the cylinder so he sent the head back to the reconditioners who pressure tested the head and could not fault it. The mechanic insisted that they retest it so they increased the pressure from 50psi to 65psi and heated it and then it started to leak.

The reconditioners have also supplied new set of gaskets and studs.

I have had the use of a loan car from the mechanic for the last few days.

Hopefully I will be going to NPD in the hilux tomorrow .

Cheers

Ray

i have had similar issues with mechanics and "experts" before aswell . Had the heads off my old small block port and polished and new heavy springs/valves put in by a reputable engine builder . Picked the car up and it went like a bat out of hell . Got 1 km down the road and went to pull out infront of a semi and it just died in the ass . pumped the living hell outta the pedal and it lit the ass end up and i escaped death .

swung around back to mechanics and abused the heck outta them . turns out they had ovaled 3 valve guides on each head :angry:

Archived