Silicone with an in-hull transducer?

new2kayaks

Hi all

I bought a hummimgbird entry level jobby on the weekend and am looking at putting it together. All of the videos i watch on you tube are talking about making a well out of "marine goop" is this product the same as the standard tube of Selleys Silicone? Just wondering if it will work?

Thanks

Lee

Mate I used Sika Flex to put my transducer in. Just use a bit of coarse sand paper and rough up the area. Wipe it with some

Methylated spirits and then apply the sika flex. Then place the transducer in the Sika flex along 1 side and roll it in making sure no air bubbles get between the transuder and the Sika flex. Push the transducer down making sure it is sufficiently embedded in the silicone. Then let it dry for a day or 2 and you should be fine.

i got some clear stuff ( dont know what its called) from whitworths.

Any marine silicone will do the job. i got some from whitworths for like 10 bucks ( dont know what its called)

If you want i can send you a pic of mine which i did in my yak? i cut a little sqaure bit out then cut a hole in that where my transducer sits, filled it up about 1/4 with 'marine goop' ;) then pushed down so no bubbles ( if bubbles you will get mixed signals or wont work cos it doesnt go though air) then push the transducer down hard and cover the top with some more 'goop'

good luck, plenty of vids on youtube, no drilling needed :)

My first installation (or first 2 perhaps) ran on the blob of sikaflex.

My latest installations go on a wet mount basis.

I would strongly recommend the wet mount, as there is a bit less to go wrong in the installation.

Step 1: Get some high density foam from clark rubber that wont let water leak out.

Step 2: Cut a slot through the foam in the shape of the transducer

Step 3: Sikaflex the foam to the hull

Installation done.

When you're about to launch the kayak, fill the transducer shaped hole with water, and push the tranny in. This way you definitely dont have any air bubbles, and you can remove the transducer a lot easier from the kayak, meaning if you ever have a boat or other kayak you can move it between each.

Mate I used Shelley's roof and gutter and had dramahs with it sticking properly I roughed up the surface first and clean properly but still found after a few trips it came unstuck I was going to use sikaflex but if you stuff up with that it is extremely hard to fix ha ha ha

Archived