LNP will be "fishing friendly"???

Gad

What has been said below I`m sure many of us are aware of,but I`m throwing it up for those who are not into ‘politics’ and only read the sport pages

Taken from Fishing World Email Newsletter Monday 26-3-12

Newman promises LNP will be "fishing friendly"

26 Mar 2012

IN the lead up to last weekend's landslide election victory, QLD's Liberal National Party had promised to look at allowing rec anglers back into marine park green zones currently off-limits, including in parts of Moreton Bay.

On the final day of campaigning Campbell Newman told visitors to the Brisbane Tinnie and Tackle Show an LNP government would be "fishing-friendly".

Newman outlined a number of measures he said would be good news for those who enjoyed fishing, but made no mention of the marine park green zones that were a contentious issue at the last election.

His fishing spokesman, Cleveland MP Mark Robinson, later confirmed to brisbanetimes.com.au the party would examine whether recreational fishing access rules could be changed in marine park no-take zones, saying he did not think anglers were causing significant environmental harm.

Green zones cover about 16 per cent of the Moreton Bay Marine Park and people can be handed on-the-spot fines of $500 if caught dropping a line, crabbing or netting in these areas – measures the government says are needed to conserve marine biodiversity. The restrictions apply to commercial and recreational fishing.

Robinson said the boundaries of green zones in the Moreton Bay Marine Park, the Great Sandy Marine Park and the Great Barrier Reef Coast Marine Park would remain unchanged under the LNP, but restrictions within them could be altered.

"What we are saying is that we have no plans for any further marine parks ... and we are going to not change any of the current boundaries, or zoning boundaries within the current three marine parks. There'll be no changes to the marine parks themselves," he said.

Robinson, who was part of bitter opposition to the expansion of green zones in Moreton Bay ahead of the 2009 election, said the LNP would be guided by scientific evidence.

"We would be looking at the scientific basis behind excluding and locking out recreational fishermen [in green zones], when there does not appear to be any sound evidence that recreational fishermen are causing significant environmental harm or that recreational fishermen are damaging sustainability," he said.

"If we find that there is no significant environmental harm or significant impact on fish sustainability, the question is why would we continue to lock people out of an area if there's no evidence that they're causing harm?"

Awesome. Lets hope it happens.

Would love to hit some of my old spots.

:cheer: yep,all the old spots will have turned into extra good spots by now. :)

if they let fishos back in,even with limited number of lines,they will be hit hard by many first off though :(

its not like were gunna get all the green zones back , "including in parts of Moreton Bay." who knows what that means

I`m glad you asked that question, the following may be clearer for you,

Taken from Fishing Worlds 23rd Feb Email Newsletter

Statement: The LNP and Recreational Fishing in Queensland Waters

23 Feb 2012

Statement:

Below is a statement by the Liberal National Party regarding recreational fishing in Queensland.

-------------------

FISHING is one of the most popular pastimes in Queensland, with an estimated 750,000 recreational fishers in this state, who contribute $1.5 billion to the State’s economy. The LNP has consistently stood for fair outcomes for recreational fishers and boaties. Only the LNP can turn back the tide against Labor’s anti-fishing and politically driven policies.

THE LNP AND RECREATIONAL FISHING

While we will have specific announcements throughout the State election campaign, there are several strategic directions that the LNP is committed to.

1. The LNP stands for Full Consultation with Rec Fishers. We have been listening to Queensland’s recreational fishers. As the Shadow Minister for Fisheries and Marine Infrastructure I have travelled across the State meeting with rec fishers and representative groups to understand their concerns and perspectives. An LNP government will consult widely and continuously with the fishing public and ensure that their views are heard.

2. The LNP stands for Fair Access for Rec Fishers. If rec fishers fish responsibly and sustainably, they don’t need to be increasingly banned from, and locked out of, large sections of inshore waters as the Bligh government is doing. We continue to stand for sustainable fishing and protecting our marine environment, but without locking out rec fishers as the Bligh government has done and will continue to do.

3. The LNP stands for Sustainable Fishing. A large number of recreational fishers remain angered by Labor’s green politics and question the evidence-base for excluding recreational fishers from some fish-rich areas. The LNP is committed to “no new marine parks and fishing closures†and to maintain the existing three state marine parks.

4. The LNP will invest in boating and marine infrastructure so that local communities have the boat ramps, pontoons and fishing platforms that they need.

5. The LNP stands for a Viable and Sustainable Seafood Industry and to reducing pressures created by overfishing - where it can be demonstrated.

The LNP is committed to Recreational Fishing policy that is sensible and sustainable, and that:

• Gives local people a proper say in decisions that affect their community, and

• Allows recreational fishing access to inshore and inland waters at fair and sustainable levels, and

• Protects our marine environment.

Dr Mark Robinson MP | Shadow Minister for Main Roads, Fisheries and Marine Infrastructure | State Member for Cleveland

doubtful Thomas :P:lol::lol:

It all sounds very good but rarely do you get back something that has been taken away.

Call me cynical but when the LNP realise how much it will cost them (read us) to reverse what Bligh has done, Campbell's promise to watch every cent spent by his governement may bring this all to a grinding halt.

However, I do live in hope. Time will tell.

So how many of you guys have actually been back to your old fishing spots since they went green? Just to have a look I mean. Do you think they look better than before or the same?

I spend a bit of time in some of the Green Zones when I go out into the bay to do field work, and from what I've seen, I think fish numbers are much better in those areas than other areas in the bay.

I don't know what the areas were like before they went Green as I was living abroad, but as a biologist I am quite sceptical about the idea of letting recreational fishing back into those areas without some kind of restriction in place to stop the areas being hammered.

So how many of you guys have actually been back to your old fishing spots since they went green? Just to have a look I mean. Do you think they look better than before or the same?

I spend a bit of time in some of the Green Zones when I go out into the bay to do field work, and from what I've seen, I think fish numbers are much better in those areas than other areas in the bay.

I don't know what the areas were like before they went Green as I was living abroad, but as a biologist I am quite sceptical about the idea of letting recreational fishing back into those areas without some kind of restriction in place to stop the areas being hammered.

That's why those area were green zoned in the first place. They asked where the fish were being caught and then locked them.

Rec fisher don't have any significant impact on fish stocks. 1997 FRDC report said rec fishing was benign. Report is no longer listed/linked on their website so don't ask me to show it to you.

There is a lot of chat about these Green zones in the Environment forum with a fair bit of info mixed in with the opinion.

Mark Robinson recieved a lot of "fishing" help to win in a tight contest in the previous election. The rough promise was green zones would become one line per person only while proper research is carried out on whether recreational fishing has any adverse impact on the marine parks. The cost of implimenting such a simple strategy other than any "real" research cost would be negligible.

what was said clearly,by LNP pre election was: "Robinson said the boundaries of green zones in the Moreton Bay Marine Park, the Great Sandy Marine Park and the Great Barrier Reef Coast Marine Park would remain unchanged under the LNP, but restrictions within them could be altered."

Mark Robinson recieved a lot of "fishing" help to win in a tight contest in the previous election. The rough promise was green zones would become one line per person only while proper research is carried out on whether recreational fishing has any adverse impact on the marine parks. The cost of implimenting such a simple strategy other than any "real" research cost would be negligible.

I'd be happy with the 2009 platform. I lose too many fish when I have two out, anyway :pinch:

...That's why those area were green zoned in the first place. They asked where the fish were being caught and then locked them..

it`s for that very reason, that when ever I take/took part in a survey for them, I always nominate areas that are a waste of time fishing, as barren as the Sahara desert :evil:

Archived