Disconnecting Oil Injection

matsmad

How many people have done this? My oil alarm has been going off nearly every outing lately, reservoir has plenty of oil etc. My outboard mechanic recommended I disconnect it and run straight premix to be safe. I would feel much better knowing there is definitely oil in the fuel. Cant afford to lose another motor! :unsure:

agreed check the oil sender. But assuming your mechanic is any good he shoud of done this. Or found out why it keps going off instead of offering a patch up fix.

hahah true but my boat been to the mechanic too much lately had to sort out some fuel issues. My dads 225 Johnson had oil injection removed back in 2000 never had a problem

What brand motor?

My Mercury 90 stroke had a similar issue which was caused by the float switch in the oil tank breaking off and casuing the low oil alarm to be constantly on. Research showed this to be a very common problem.

Theonly other thing I can thhink of is a a pin hole leak or loose line somewhere allowing for air to get in and break the flow of oil which sounds right if pumping the bulb fixes it.

Mate just disconnect the sender unit that sends the alarm. If yours is anything like my oil injection its only to let you know that the oil is empty. The oil injection is VERY reliable and safe. If you forget to top up the oil in the resivour in your motor I can assure you that u will forget to mix it with fuel.

Yeh its a 1993 Johnson 150hp. Very reliable motor starts straight away even after couple months in storage. Its a pain when im goin across the seaway bar and the alarm starts going off gotta stop the boat lift up the back seat and prime it bit scary at times.

Archived