Help - Digging worms at the gold coast

casper0908

casper i'll let you into the secret of whiting in the nerang river,first off forget the worms, you'll only get small to average whiting on them. the secret to catching big elbow slappers in the nerang river is green pea sized soldier crabs, 3 or four to a hook.

best area is from the southport bridge to the back of chevron island and around past the council chambers at bundall.

as far as i know you dont get mud, blood or cribb island worms down that way the bottoms too sandy for them.

jeff f

Jeff is right. You have to travel to get blood worms. I watched a fishing DVD about whiting fishing the Nerang.

The fishers had to travel to the Moreton Bay foreshore to get their blood worms.

As far as sand/beach worms go, thats a whole different story. You dont \"dig\" these. It required the knack which is difficult to impart in words.

Angus

I know im not gus but....

I think you can get bloodworms anywhere along muddy low tide places. I see dudes digging around Lota to Wynnum at low tide for worms. The use a pitch form and just work a small area overturning about 70cm worth of mud. Never done it myself, just observed.

Beach/sand worms i think are anywhere there are waves on a beach. I've caught them from Bribie, to Surfers, to South Straddie. South Straddie had soooo many I sat on the sand crosslegged for half an hour pulling the worms up around me.

• 4 weeks later...

I know its an old post but I was just looking on ebay and spotted someone in Brisbane selling worms.

I dont know how to add links yet, but if you go to ebay Fishing page 5 you should see them. 300g for $20. I'm not sure what you pay for them in shops? and being cured in metho not sure if they would catch.

chubstar pickling beach worms in metho is an old surf fishermans trick, you knot and tie and loop a couple of whole meter long worms onto an 8/0 hook when you are chasing jewfish in surf gutters. the fact that they are pickled makes them too tough for the pickers to do any damage ,and all the pickers hanging around the bait acts as live berly to attract the jew, and jew cant go past a fist sized clump if worms

Archived