How long does it take to go to mud island

Lachie

You are 14, you have plenty fo fishing time ahead of you. Spend some time in the rivers wih your 6hp honing your skills, the laws are there for a reason. Then, when you get your license and can get a better boat you will be skilled up to safely head wherever you want.

You and your buddies can have just as much fun fishing the rivers, don't go putting yourself into stupid unsafe situations.

You are 14, you have plenty fo fishing time ahead of you. Spend some time in the rivers wih your 6hp honing your skills, the laws are there for a reason. Then, when you get your license and can get a better boat you will be skilled up to safely head wherever you want.

You and your buddies can have just as much fun fishing the rivers, don't go putting yourself into stupid unsafe situations.

Yep, good call Woody1. I was a late bloomer when it came to boating - got a 14ft tinny with 30hp 2 years ago and got practice in the river first before venturing to Mud. The river mouth area as well as the stretch from the rock wall to Mud can get very choppy at times. Also, if a larger boat or ferry flies past you when you are in shallow water you don't have much time to react and a 6hp motor IMO will just lead to trouble in this situation.

Get your licence. It's easy and more beneficial long term. It would take too long to get there from Nudgee unless you are mega keen on trolling a Halco in the Chrome Pink colour (my choice for long tails), take everyone's advice and go from Pinkenba. Good Luck.

It can get fairly choppy between Green and Lota, which I would classify as very safe water, so wouldn't like to be taking a 6 or '6' out to Mud. Wouldn't trust the Bureau of Meteorology too much either, they get it wrong once too often for my liking.

Besides heading out the river mouth, anyone tried going out east from the ramp at Port Drive and coming out opposite St Helena then NE to Mud? The route looks like it might be a little more protected.

Runty, I've caught more squire and grassies (and fish in general) in my kayak than in the clanky 4.25 runabout with 40 horsies on its bum. I've also lost quite a few unstoppable fish in the same spots. All the squire and some of the sweetlip tasted so sh*t (they were so weedy you could probably roll 'em and smoke 'em) I've stopped fishing for them. These spots are not very far from shore. But they're quiet and the fish are there at certain times.

It's not as if rego costs much, why take the punt?
/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Registration/Recreational-ships.aspx

i think its boat lience which is more the fact ;)

if you have an outboard over 4hp it needs to be rego'd.. so having it 6hp stickers still needs to have rego

yeh im only 14 so can get licensce yet which sucks :(

am more than happy to pay the small amount for rego :)

im trying to get a 9.9hp engine and then change stickers and sh*t to make it look like its a 6hp :)

has anyone tried to do the thingy with the carbuerator that makes it go faster ???

I though that we were trying not to encourage illegal activities, both fishing and boating.

Mate make note that you may have some fisheries or even the boating police on this site, so if you get done by them, good luck in trying to get out of it, maybe see if you can go out with some older friends that have a license.

I prefer nudgee boat ramp to pinkenba and i take my 4.8 halfcab with a 40 to mud. Only takes 15+ mins but does become fun when the wind picks up. From pinkenba is safer. Due to no gps yet i only stay in the rivers and creeks at night.

I'm in the south so unless I'm keen on contributing to the Grow Queensland Motorways Xmas Fund, think I'll stick with the ramps south of the Gateway Bridge - or whateveritscalledthesedays :)

asuming you work out VERY carefully how much fuel you need there back and a lot of oh bugger fuel tested with the boat as you will be leaving theres no reason a rig of that size and horse power shouldnt do it i would say though it would want to be the high sided version in case it gets rough and very ecconomical ie a 4str so you dont overload with fuel.i wouldnt plane id just cruise at an easy 3/5 knots good trolling speed and id time it with the tide if wind picks up it would be rare to be a westerly tho id make dam sure first , you should get blown to shore may be not where you want though, id also make dam sure of being both legal and above most requirements as if it ALL goes pear shaped you will die its that simple tens of thousands of mariners are testimony to that .

have fun stay safe and use your brain cells

jason

Archived