How long does it take to go to mud island

Lachie

Hey Lachie

On a good day your tinny you've described should be fine with 2 blokes - i'm not sure from nudgee but from pinkenba

I would guess around 45 minutes??

Runty has a small Tinny and heads out there all the time with the same size motor i think ??

Does your boat plane with 2 guys onboard? Definitely go from Pinkenba, not nudgee, that way if it blows up atleast half the trip is in protected waters in the river. If i were you I would just be sticking to the mouth of the river, plenty of good fishing around there for snapper, jew and... whatever else turns up! save yourself the extra 20 mins each way and be a lot safer if it turns rough.

Consequence would depend on the officer who stings you - It's kind of like driving a turbo car on your p-plates (roughly, i would assume).

How do they check? People who have been in and around boats for a long time will know the physical size of motors etc. Mick took one look at Runtys boat and knew it wasn't a 6 but yeah risk is yours.

yeah ya wanna be carefull the trained eye will pick up on the the little things.like 6 hp stickers on out boards that are bigger than what they are.

things that draw attention are duel vented exhaust outlets,a vented hub in the prop.A non redgo'd boat(no stickers) on the plane even a hydro foil attached to the cav plate will draw attetion and one would have to think how does a 6 hp engine have the balls to make a hydro foil porform and on a closer inspection of the engine the KW are normaly stated on the plate near the sieral number, and a quick Killowatts to HP conversion and your pinged for no licence,

R you listening runty :P

yeah ya wanna be carefull the trained eye will pick up on the the little things.like 6 hp stickers on out boards that are bigger than what they are.

things that draw attention are duel vented exhaust outlets,a vented hub in the prop.A non redgo'd boat(no stickers) on the plane even a hydro foil attached to the cav plate will draw attetion and one would have to think how does a 6 hp engine have the balls to make a hydro foil porform and on a closer inspection of the engine the KW are normaly stated on the plate near the sieral number, and a quick Killowatts to HP conversion and your pinged for no licence,

R you listening runty :P

does he ever :P so should take me 20-25 with my 15hp on my 3.7 tinny depending on conditions of course, what about reccomended hp for hull

My mate and I went to mud from nudgee in a 375 with a 5 hp on the back and it took forever, don't know how long exactly but roughly 50 mins maybe more

Cheer Ryan

I second this. We only made It to the western side also. Wasn't game enough to go any further.

It's not as if rego costs much, why take the punt?
/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Registration/Recreational-ships.aspx

i think its boat lience which is more the fact ;)

if you have an outboard over 4hp it needs to be rego'd.. so having it 6hp stickers still needs to have rego

It's not as if rego costs much, why take the punt?
/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Registration/Recreational-ships.aspx

i think its boat lience which is more the fact ;)

if you have an outboard over 4hp it needs to be rego'd.. so having it 6hp stickers still needs to have rego

yeh im only 14 so can get licensce yet which sucks :(

am more than happy to pay the small amount for rego :)

im trying to get a 9.9hp engine and then change stickers and sh*t to make it look like its a 6hp :)

has anyone tried to do the thingy with the carbuerator that makes it go faster ???

good luck to ya, but my experience with water coppers is that they show little to no leniency. ignorance is no excuse runty.....

but like i said, good luck :)

Well said, ignorance is no defense at all, wont stop them giving you a ticket. Keep in mind now days aswell that all fines you get while you are young that go unpaid will prevent you from getting your L plates all together.

The rules are there for a reason, respect them. I for one hate seeing tinny bandits with their 6hp stickers on the outboards running a muck in the river causing havoc. Its this exact reason they dont let young kids drive bigger motors, a great deal of them have next to no fear of what may happen when you get chucked out of the boat and it circles back around at you doing 20knts.

The water Police hammer that place and remember there is a stretch from the mouth to Mud that is not smooth water so you need the safety gear for partial smooth waters

and it's a LONG WAY BACK if it cuts up rough

Gaz

good luck to ya, but my experience with water coppers is that they show little to no leniency. ignorance is no excuse runty.....

but like i said, good luck :)

Well said, ignorance is no defense at all, wont stop them giving you a ticket. Keep in mind now days aswell that all fines you get while you are young that go unpaid will prevent you from getting your L plates all together.

The rules are there for a reason, respect them. I for one hate seeing tinny bandits with their 6hp stickers on the outboards running a muck in the river causing havoc. Its this exact reason they dont let young kids drive bigger motors, a great deal of them have next to no fear of what may happen when you get chucked out of the boat and it circles back around at you doing 20knts.

That's exactly what happened to my sister in Hervey Bay about 17 years ago when she was 16.....her idiot boyfriend was showboating ( like the pun? :P ) and the tinnie circled around and the prop went up the back of her thigh.........you can imagine the messy ribbons of flesh and the amount of blood :sick: so yeah, it really does happen. She's fat now.

i know a couple of young daredevils who went to mud in a rig like that.on the way home it was a big tide running out and the breeze was behind the current

they couldnt get back, wasted all thier fuel trying to beat the current and ended up getting rescued over near moreton.the same pair have also been sucked out through the seaway in the same rig.

guys its better to spend a couple of years in safe water honing your skills with a boat and as a fisherman than taking risks in the bay. big shallow areas turn very nasty very quickly and can be more dangerous than the sea when you get wind against current and pressure waves out of nowhere

yeah I'd really suggest against attempting it. Both the run to mud and trying to fool authorities with a 6HP sticker.

I don't think people respect the waters enough until they run into it when its in a bad mood.

I've got a 3.95 with a 25 and even I'm very cautious about going to mud in that.

lachie your obviosly keen to get out for a fish unfortunatly my boats out of the water for the next 2 weeks needing new manifolds and risers i will send you a msg next time my sons and i head out if your keen . in the mean time someone eles might put there hand up to take you out

I thought about putting a 90 mecury on mine with a big foot 60 cover, it fits lol.

Im not going to anymore because if anything happens insurance wont cover.

I do some dumb stuff and go out in crazy weather but id never take a 6hp out.

Why do you want to go mud anyway. To catch Snapper??

Fish the river mate youl catch more snapper in river. I have nearlly bagged out everytime i have being out in past few week. I know people who have caught 40-50 legals a sess in past weeks.

Stick to the river until you get a bigger boat mate.

That river mouth gets pretty bad at times. You dont want to be caught out in it.

Mate a 6hp could easily do it as long as you don't overload the boat so it can get up on the plane.

When I was a kid, I used to have a 12ft tinnie with a 5hp engine and I once took it from Kingscliff all the way out to Cook Island.....although I'd never do that again.

As long as it's calm you could get to Mud, but I would be looking at going from the Brisbane River. You could also get from Raby out to Peel just as easy.

You could first try in the river with a big run out tide like full or new moon with two people in it and see how the boat handles. at least then you might be able to swim in if something goes wrong.

I had a 3.6 tinnie with a 20 and only went to mud once and I was dead set scared coming back and it was only 15 knot winds against the tide.

Archived