Glassed out Bay!!! wow what a morning

tradie

Wow what a day. As predicted next to no wind hopes were high to get out to mud this morning. Firstly a massive shout out to WONDALL ROAD MARINE for the fantastic service and unbeatable price. Many thanks Ray for the reconmendation, they really are a honest bunch that tell you exactly whats wrong and only fix what needs fixing there were no hidden surprises!!! Will certainly use them next time. Owner Brian 419 Wondall Road Tingalpa QLD 4173 (07) 3396 5633

0430 at Fishermans out through the boat passage into the river, there is a container ship heading towards the mouth I was at least 150m infront and was headed for the chute for livebait so went to cross the river and as I went to full throttle about half way across the river and my locking pin on the motor gives way, the motor kicks up in the air and stalls...... container ship is now still a way off but closing in its dark and god was I thankfull when my motor fired back up and was able to safely get out of the way. Ive heard this pin is nylon and known to fail?? Another friend had a similar problem which should be an easy fix.

Plenty of undersize squire at mud tried on the south side first, landed some nice squid. Moved around to the western side again small squire but no real luck. As the tide was changing the bay started to blow up just a little so I moved around to the northern side of mud and tried my luck there. Two solid bust offs had me sending down more baits. Flicking some lures I had squid following them up to the boat and was able to just pick them up in the net. Mid morning the bay totally glassed out and wow what a sight. Between mud and the mouth stopped to just take it all in as I never really see the bay just so flat. Another solid hit while drifting but had spat the hooks before I could get to the rod.

Heading back into the river I had to stop and take some photos as I followed some dolphins back in, They were moving in pairs and there were about 4 pairs that really made my day.

No fish to take home a good feed of squid tho, caught some fish heard my reels scream and what a way to spend the day!!

Thank you all for reading

post-5874-144598794845_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598794856_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598794862_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598794867_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598794874_thumb.jpg

post-5874-14459879488_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598794885_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598794891_thumb.jpg

Great pics mate, i wish I could have got out there today or tonight, it looks like its going to blow up again after saturday, ive seen the bay glassed out quite a few times now and its such a good feeling just heading whereever you want and being able to see the islands so well withou the salt spray and chop

Great pics mate, i wish I could have got out there today or tonight, it looks like its going to blow up again after saturday, ive seen the bay glassed out quite a few times now and its such a good feeling just heading whereever you want and being able to see the islands so well withou the salt spray and chop

Thanks mate im heading out again tonight to fish the river and hope to take advantage of the morning conditions again. And your right being able to head in any direction without salt spray in your face is a nice change well for open boats anyway

Lovely day but not what I would call a glassout ;)

A few years back I helped deliver a boat to Vanuatu fishing every seamount between The Swains and Espiritu Santo.

Heres a vid on a seamount

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrxR_a8A9A4

and a picture 500 nm out of typical "glassout" conditions on the trip

[img size=large]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3638/vanuatupassage.jpg

Lovely day but not what I would call a glassout ;)

A few years back I helped deliver a boat to Vanuatu fishing every seamount between The Swains and Espiritu Santo.

Heres a vid on a seamount

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrxR_a8A9A4

and a picture 500 nm out of typical "glassout" conditions on the trip

[img size=large]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3638/vanuatupassage.jpg

Thats a great movie clip thank you for adding!!

By the way noticed all the crab pots around mud this morning there were quite a few what are people chasing out there at this time of the year??

sandys and hairybacks

Hey Jeff what are hairybacks?? Tried googling it hahaha bad idea

By the way noticed all the crab pots around mud this morning there were quite a few what are people chasing out there at this time of the year??

sandys and hairybacks

Hey Jeff what are hairybacks?? Tried googling it hahaha bad idea

yeah probably not a good idea :sick:

they are a smaller crab body between a sandy and a muddy, browny green back with a patch of hairy looking stuff on it, sometimes see them in the asian seafood markets around the south side

Hey Tradie, great pics, especially the one with the dolphin breaking the surface!

It's been a very nice week out on the Bay. We were lucky to get out in the kayak on Tue looking for tailor. Didn't find any but still had plenty of action to keep us entertained.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers

Joe

they are a smaller crab body between a sandy and a muddy, browny green back with a patch of hairy looking stuff on it, sometimes see them in the asian seafood markets around the south side

Well, I googled it with the appropriate filter :dry: I have to keep an eye out for them, can't say I've seen them before.

Do you ever catch these here? We used to hand net plenty of them from a beach where we holidayed. Not bad eating, meatier than the blue swimmer.

post-5579-144598794922_thumb.jpg

Hey Tradie, great pics, especially the one with the dolphin breaking the surface!

It's been a very nice week out on the Bay. We were lucky to get out in the kayak on Tue looking for tailor. Didn't find any but still had plenty of action to keep us entertained.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers

Joe

Hey Joe It has been a great week and ive had my boat in the shop I was hanging to get it back and get out there. I launch at Fishos and was talking to some guys there the other night and they had caught about half a dozen tailor good size too just off the ramp there was going to go out again tonight but now going out again in the morning to take advantage of this weather. Where abouts did you take your kayak?

Well, I googled it with the appropriate filter :dry: I have to keep an eye out for them, can't say I've seen them before.

Do you ever catch these here? We used to hand net plenty of them from a beach where we holidayed. Not bad eating, meatier than the blue swimmer.

[attachment=50251]1977_43476919220_712804220_1259583_5679_n.jpg[/attachment]

Joe fantastic find thanks for posting that up I have never seen them before I wonder what is there season? And do they have a bag limit and size limit?

BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat repair place. We have to get our outboard serviced in the next month or so it's a timely tip.

We headed out from Manly. We were going to troll/fish about the mouth of Lota Creek but ended up chasing the surface bust ups (tuna, trevally, macks??) in a NE direction. That's where we got the shark and a thousand grinners and catties (ok, maybe slight exaggeration here).

I reckon the tailor are everywhere now. There are plenty of hardyheads for them to chase. We found a hungry patch last week, most were an inch or two below 35cm but 4 were an inch or two over.

Nice report and great photos. It's been a great week on the bay. I went out to mud early on both Tuesday and Wednesday and the days just got better. Caught some nice pan size snapper both days but had a ball with the squid too. You have to make the most of it when you can as it's not always that good.

Cheers,

Rob

Joe fantastic find thanks for posting that up I have never seen them before I wonder what is there season? And do they have a bag limit and size limit?

It's called the surf crab. I caught these in NSW. According to this site, they are also found in Qld. They're usually pretty small but the ones from this beach were big, relatively speaking, and there were lots of them. Our theory was that somebody was either dumping steroids or dead bodies in the surf.

Nice report and great photos. It's been a great week on the bay. I went out to mud early on both Tuesday and Wednesday and the days just got better. Caught some nice pan size snapper both days but had a ball with the squid too. You have to make the most of it when you can as it's not always that good.

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Rob good to hear you got onto some snapper! What do you use for squid I have a few squid jigs are they with all the barbs is that the go?

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Rob good to hear you got onto some snapper! What do you use for squid I have a few squid jigs are they with all the barbs is that the go?

Yeah mate, squid jigs are the go. I sight casted at a couple and caught a few with the jig floating out the back of the boat while drifting with plastics.

Sounds like you had a fun session mate, although you must have been sh!tting bricks when the motor stalled. Hope that never happens to me!!!!!

Yea for sure its that dam locking pin really need to get onto that. I was able to cruise around today at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with no problems its just at full throttle after about a min to two it seems to be to much and id much rather fix it before it comes worse. But yea certainly was packing it when the motor kicked up and the sudden stop made the back wash come straight into the boat. It was worse because it was dark !! I had full faith in the motor because I was thinking well ive just had it serviced so what could possibly be wrong but yea its just one of those thing. Mate across the road had the same prob and he replaced the nylon with metal much stronger so maybe thats the go? But yea close calls fun times really didnt want to have to get the paddles out

Archived