Rod for Light HB's

Hi

Looking to get a second rod (my Catana didn't survive the day out at Kholo). I have a Loomis Drop Shot rod that I want to leave for soft plastics and have a second rod on the yak to throw hardbodies. Have 3 to 5 pound braid on it to throw smaller HB's like jackall chubbies or Exogear SX40's and very occasionally something a little bigger like a Manns 5+.

Probably looking to spend up to $300.

Would really appreciate any advice on rods specifically built for throwing these light HB's.

Thanks

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I have 2 of the Nordic Stage Jaeger rods and can't recommend them highly enough, I use the gunslinger model for light hardbodies but think the jaeger is a better all purpose kayak rod with a bit more guts to it for bass and squire and the like.

So how did you go at Kholo?

Hi Dan

This morning was my first trip up into fresh water to try and catch a bass.

Not a lot of joy up there this morning. Put in at the bridge at about 8.30 and headed upstream from there. Very windy and surprisingly strong current. Couple of hits on the trolling rod but not too much else. Casting another hard body around the snags with no luck. Got up to the section where the river widens again out the front of the botanical gardens but too windy and current too strong to bother pushing further into it.

Turned around and headed back to the bridge. Flicked some plastics in the deeper holes just up from the bridge, but was getting fairly unpleasant with the wind so off the water about 11.30.

I was disappointed because I had planned an all day trip, but wind was a killer. Pleasant few hours out and about just the same. Maybe next week I will get that bass.

Andrew

Hi Dan

This morning was my first trip up into fresh water to try and catch a bass.

Not a lot of joy up there this morning. Put in at the bridge at about 8.30 and headed upstream from there. Very windy and surprisingly strong current. Couple of hits on the trolling rod but not too much else. Casting another hard body around the snags with no luck. Got up to the section where the river widens again out the front of the botanical gardens but too windy and current too strong to bother pushing further into it.

Turned around and headed back to the bridge. Flicked some plastics in the deeper holes just up from the bridge, but was getting fairly unpleasant with the wind so off the water about 11.30.

I was disappointed because I had planned an all day trip, but wind was a killer. Pleasant few hours out and about just the same. Maybe next week I will get that bass.

Andrew

Unlucky on the bass. Yeah was bloody windy at my place today.

Let us know next time you wanna give it a crack, I'll come along If I can, I don't live too far away.

hey mate i was in the same boat not to long ago. I already had a light plastic rod but wanted another rod for throwing my light hard bodies around. after really looking on the net and going to about 10 fishing stores, i came to the conclusion that the LOX yoshi-ls6623 was the best rod for what i was after. its a 1-3 kg which is just prefect. it is slightly and i mean very slightly stiffer rod which is (i find) a bit better for your hard bodies. it came with a great carry case and rod bag. I think for $200 this rod is a steal. however i really advice u 2 do your research and go feel as many rods as u can. u will know when u pick up a rod if it is right for u. confidence in your gear could very well be a deciding factor in catching fish or not. hope this helps mate.

Hey mate

Like some others have said, the Nordic stage rods are really well suited to throwing hardbodies. I use the jaeger for the lighter hardbodies - set you back around $250 i think?

Another recommendation is the steez tornado. Great slow actioned rod that is awesome for crank baits!

You should be able to find a second hand one for $300. In fact I think there is one on ebay right now for $300 B)

Justin

Archived