BroadBill Swordfish

mattza13

Gday fella's,

I was wondering if anyone on this site has had any experience with a swordy at all. I am Heading out this weekend to do some deep drop around some pinicles off the shelf overnight on the weekend. We have the deep drop down to a fine art but am looking to expand the fishing out there. I have been struggling to find much info on catching them in SEQ but im sure there has been some (other than the long lined ones). Am chasing ideas and info on rigs etc. I will be fishing my tyrnos 50II with 1500m of 80lb braid so capacity isnt the problem, finding and hooking them is. My current idea is rigging one of my deep drop 15/0 circles onto 300lb leader material, glow stick, whole squid etc, but am up for ideas.

Any experiences, stories or theories would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers matt

Large whole squid is the perfect bait for broadies.

They also come up near the surface during the night and setting baits from around 70 to 100m deep will catch them.

You will also get yellowfin,marlin and Bigeye at those depths.

During the day they generally go deeper and the deepest I have caught them on lines is 320fm.

I caught all mine down along the NSW Mid North Coast,not up here in QLD

Use bricks for weights tied on to your swivels with 2-3kg line so they can break away when you get a run or hookup.

If there is bugger wind and tide you can send the baits down and then break off the brick so you have an unweighted bait.

Don't forget to have surface baits out too cos they will come right to the top at night.

Gday fella's,

I will be fishing my tyrnos 50II with 1500m of 80lb braid so capacity isnt the problem, finding and hooking them is.

Cheers matt

:ohmy: um, if you can fit that sort of meterage on your tyrnos 50II, can you please tell me what brand of braid/dacron u use

Gday fella's,

I will be fishing my tyrnos 50II with 1500m of 80lb braid so capacity isnt the problem, finding and hooking them is.

Cheers matt

:ohmy: um, if you can fit that sort of meterage on your tyrnos 50II, can you please tell me what brand of braid/dacron u use

I was thinking the exact same thing kurt :huh:

Gday fella's,

Cheers matt

It doesn't sound that far from the mark as I fit 300m plus backing of 50lb bionic braid (reasonably thick) on a tyrnos 12.

ive got a touch over 1400 acording to the line counter, i am using the first 500ish is 80lb super braid, and the next 900odd is a cheaper braid, but has proven itself for me and another few blokes, we got it from Andy at the Downrigger Shop, a very helpful bloke.

haha back to back uni, both in bimini twist doubles, if ive lost 900odd metres of line im starting to get into strife anyway, i always carry a spare thousand metre spool to be sure

At the time i wasnt sure what would be the best effort so had a stab, if i loose line i loose it lesson learnt

Word if you loose 900m you are in a world of sh!t.

So you did a bimini in both braids and then double unied them together?

I would be concerned about the braid cutting into the other braid or slipping. I reckon a better way to go would be to do biminis in both braided lines and and attach them via an albright to a heavy (150lb) piece of mon leader.

So braid-bimini-albright-mono-albright-bimini-braid.

In about 4 or 5 years of offfshore fishing am yet to have an albrigt bimini fail. Its always one of the other knots or straightened hooks.

ive got a touch over 1400 acording to the line counter, i am using the first 500ish is 80lb super braid, and the next 900odd is a cheaper braid, but has proven itself for me and another few blokes, we got it from Andy at the Downrigger Shop, a very helpful bloke.

did you spool it your self or did a tackle shop do it... my tld50 ii lsra, i spooled it with 80lb fins braid and got about 750-800m with a 100m 80lb stren toper on it.

I did it all with a sign counter. the super braid was actually counted when it came off the old reel as well as when it went onto this and the other came off a fresh 1000m spool and got all but 100odd m on which became a top shot on a mayest spinfisher

Gday fella's,

Cheers matt

I was thinking the exact same thing kurt :huh:

:blink::blink:

Archived