First Longtail Tuna!

nabs

Hey all,

Weather was looking good for a morning sesh in the bay on Tuesday. Sent a few texts around but no one was keen to join me. Something about work? Not sure what that is... :whistle:

Plan was to fish the southern bay for snaps and then head back home. Didnt want to stay out too long. Fished from about 530am and found it very hard going. No action on the snapper front for me. My mate pete was out in his boat and managed one nice fish at 53cm. But I was struggling.

Anyway by about 830 we were just fishing next to each other talking about going to look for some tuna. Not long after that I saw a massive explosion in the water not far from the boat. Thought, maybe it was a Dolphin? Then another one, this time closer and I saw a Tuna leap clear out of the water! "Longtails!" Was the call by Peter. As soon as I could, I reached down, grabbed my heavier outfit (Nordic Stage Favourite with a 3000 luvias rigged with 20lb) Fired a cast in the direction of the tuna. Worked it back for nothing. I wasn't expecting to hook one, I had a 4inch shrimp on and from what I hear these fish can be pretty fussy when it comes to eating lures. The fish surfaced again and I landed a cast right on them. Let it sink a few seconds... 2 rips of the rod..... FISH ON!

At first it just shook it's head. Didnt move around much. Thought maybe there was some smaller fish under them. But sure enough, the fish sped towards the boat, then flew off on a screaming run! I started the motor and just kept it in gear in the direction of the fish thinking it would be enough. Nope. Bit faster...then too fast. Had to wind in as fast as I could to keep the line tight :dry: . Its hard work trying to drive the boat while winding in haha!

Pete hopped in my boat soon after and brought his gaff with him. He controlled his ipilot electric to follow us which I thought was pretty cool! The fish played nice and didnt go deep and spent most of the fight near the top which made things easier. Still fought like a champ and my arms were feeling it after a while of the fight. Eventually got the fish near the boat, only for it to turn and get tail wrapped. I could feel the leader rubbing now and was starting to freak out. My mate recently lost a good tuna from the same thing so I was a bit worried. But luckily enough it un wrapped and the fish was pretty much spent. Got it next to the boat and Pete stuck the gaff into him and brought it aboard. YEWWWW! :woohoo: My first Longtail tuna landed. I was stoked!

Got some happy snaps after that. I was absolutely wrapped. After spending a few sessions chasing these fish and having some near misses. It was just perfect luck that they popped up next to the boat and everything worked out! Wish it was that easy every time.

We decided to go and see if we could find some more, I wasnt too fussed as I had my fish :lol: but Pete was keen on one so I followed him in search of some more. Didnt take long to find them. Heaps of longtails busting up. We spent a fair while chasing these ones and even though we got within range they weren't keen on anything we threw at them. They were only chasing very very small baitfish.

A few schools of bonito moved in and we got into them. They werent fussy, nothing big but was fun having double hookups casting into the fish busting up.

I decided to call it in not long after that. Ended up being an awesome morning on the bay. Near glassed out conditions and the fish played the game for me :cheer:

post-107-14459880222_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598802232_thumb.jpg

Archived