Attention ! Bag Limits

ellicat

I know a few people measure by pointing the tails out which gains an extra couple centimetres and arguements ensuing over whether a fish would be considered over 70cm if its tail was pointed out etc so i got ruling from DPI on it for clarification.

Wasnt sure that this warranted its own topic or not.

Quoted from the email i received:

I have received a response from the fisheries officers as follows:

Attached is some wording from the Fisheries Reg 2008 about measuring fish. It mentions in (2) below about the fish being measured without it being manipulated ..I think that is what he will be referring to.

There is also a diagram in the Regs that shows how a fish is to be measured, but I can't paste into this reply. Its on page 118 of the Regs (http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FisherR08.pdf)

The size of a fin fish is decided by measuring, with the fish in the required position—

(a)for a flathead, shark or ray—the distance along a straight horizontal line along the centre of the fish’s underside from the foremost point of the fish to the end of its tail; or

(b)for a fin fish, other than a fish mentioned in paragraph (a)—the distance along a straight horizontal line (the measurement line) along the fish’s side from its mouth to—

(i)the point on the measurement line where the fish’s tail ends; or

(ii)if part of the tail extends further than the point on the measurement line where the fish’s tail ends—the point on the measurement line corresponding in length with the end of the longest part of the fish’s tail.

(2)For subsection (1), the size of the fish must be measured without manipulating the fish, other than to the extent reasonably necessary to allow the fish to be measured as required under the subsection.

Hope this helps

Please let me know if you need anything further

Best regards

Susan Jones

Team Leader

Customer Support

Biosecurity Queensland

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Archived