Attention ! Bag Limits

ellicat

I suspect there may be some misunderstanding on the meaning of Bag Limits.

Bag Limit is a colloquial term used instead of the correct term which is

In Possession Limits

In possession means any fish in your possession, so if you caught 3 fishX today and put them in the freezer and then caught 3 fishX again tomorrow and the In Possession Limit is 5, you would be exceeding the Bag Limit by 1.

If you catch your Bag you cannot keep anymore until you consume or throw away or give away some of the ones already in your possession (not on you at the time in your esky etc). You must reduce the number in your possession prior to keeping any more.

That is the rules. :)

Well in your defence it does look abit suspect.

In all honesty it was the first fish caught, and was measured with a fat max tape measure, mate was trying to make it over seventy as he'd been bragging about the spot not producing fish user 70!! Haha

But it looks stretched on the brag mat . **** happens hey!

haha sad case

If I could catch fish and I wanted to freeze it I would say I bought from Woolies.

Do we need to keep a receipt from the shop?

What happens if you buy 10kg of Green Prawns on the way home from fishing?

that actually is a very good point. might keep that one up my sleeve, especially as theres no limit to how much fish u can buy from the co-op. i could literally buy 50kg of green prawns and its legal? but if i go out and catch them, then its not legal? how would people who dont fish at all know this?

Its not only the salt where people take excess fish, I have seen all the tricks out at NPD over the years. People supposedly taking thier limit several days in the same week, people with more than thier entitlement on tether and then only putting down 2 on the catch card etc etc but thier day will come one day when fisheries are waiting at the ramp.

Dino

Weird concept but common sense usually applies to these sort of things :woohoo:

Fisheries aren't going to rock up to your place and say congratualtions you have just been selected for a random freezer inspection :pinch:

They will have recieved information or observed conduct which warrants further investigation. Seeing someone go out whiting fishing 5 days in a row and seeing them clean fish for for 3 hours after each trip might seem suspicious. Someone down the pub selling prawns for $10/kilo out of the car boot might also attract attention.

From what I have seen with fisheries they try hard to get all their ducks in a row before they make themselves known. The bought em at woolies excuse might give them a laugh as they pull out video of the person cast netting a bucket of prawns, leaving to unload them then returning a few more times to do the same thing on the same day.

If you are doing the right thing there won't be a problem.

people wont do the right thing fisheries amd marine parks dont show there faces enough to keep you on the straight and narrow

It's an honour, integrity, ethical and moral thing in that case. ;)

It's also a respect for the law and also our fellow fishermen.

I am not sure on QLD but NSW and Vic have had possession limits for many years.

I think WA started theirs to stop the plunder the WA Crays and SA moved to possession limits last year to stop the tourists that were going there every year and filling up with KGW and Snapper.

I am not sure about Tassie but with large stocks of crays and abs they would have to have possession limits as well.

rules and regulations are like paddlocks on a gate meaning: there only there for honest people who care about or affraid of being cought doing the wrong thing there will always be thieves, idiots, ignorent and plane stupid morons. it sad but there's nothing we can do to change the way that it is if someone like rayke1938 or dinodadog even myself were at the ramp and said hay you cant have that many fish or there under or over size they will tell you f$#@ off and complain that some old guy down the ramp had a winge.

some people just dont care simple as that ie: the white bucket brigade

collin

If it think someone is making a genuine mistake I may politely inform them otherwise its just a call to hotline 1800017116 . If i consider its risk free i will also take photos but wont run the risk of getting my head punched in.

It amazes me the number of people ( Even on this site )who are ignorant of the rules and make no effort to find out.

Cheers

Ray

I figured it is possible that a family could eat a 70cm snapper in a day. If I had a Jurassic park spot X, personally wouldn't be raping it but... maybe I'm just jealous that I don't have a Jurassic park spot x

my family could eat a 70 cm snapper in 1 meal ,but there is 9 of us .

I figured it is possible that a family could eat a 70cm snapper in a day. If I had a Jurassic park spot X, personally wouldn't be raping it but... maybe I'm just jealous that I don't have a Jurassic park spot x

I could do it by myself :whistle:

This is just a passing. Comment and not a jibe.

A "spot" may only produce good fish for a few

Months of the year, for instance you'd get bigger snaps in winter in the bay than you get in summer. Or you may get constant mackerel in one spot when there in season, so I wouldn't say that keeping your catch for 2 3 months from

One spot is raping it you know?

If we were talking about fish in the 40-50 cm range then no-one would have a problem with takin 18 fish in 2.5 weeks it's only cos were talking about horses that people have a different perception.

The fact that this snapper season has started so so well would mean that the current management in place is working well.

Just my 2 c

Callum

I could eat two

So does the possession limit apply on tailor too?. I got told theres a daily limit of 20 fish.

What happens if you go to Frasor island on trip. If you catch 20 first day. Are you not allowed to keep anymore all trip?

Its just a question.

Callum Your mates doing well. Most people are just jealous. I know i am. I have only caught a few snapper over 70 and there he is getting a few every night. Im sick of catching 50-60cm. Tell him il trade him spots lol

As for the white bucket. They are a bunch of inconsiderate idiots. They chose not to disobey the rules. I have confronted a few of them at times in the river and coast and the most common reply is " me no english". They simply just dont care.

I have seen spots get rapped because one people showed his mate a spot and in the next few weeks the whole inala community is there.

Boyds bay bridge is one. Two years ago there used to be only a few people fishing there for tailor everytime we went. Mostly locals. Everyone did the right thing. The police didnt care we fished off bridge either as we werent in

anyones way.

Last year word got out that theres tailor off the bridge. Over weeks the number of white buckets in area increased until to point it was hard for cars to drive as people everywhere. Even boats couldnt pass under bridge with the amount of lines.

I went a few weeks back and we fished off the rocks and there was 15 boats

full of white buckets anchored around the bridge. 5-6 in each boat and they

was peoples on the pile ons.

This was a weeknight and late too. Id hate to imagine what weekend is like there

The fisheries should get more strict and start handing out bigger fines for people who keep disobeying rules.

Whyte Island boat jetty should have fisheries there 24/7. Theres just so many people disobeying the rules there. I have personally called fisheries so many

times from there and they never rock up.

As a matter of fact i called them last night i seen a group of 3 guys fishing illegal side and they kept 5-6 undersize jewies infront of us so I called fisheries when we got back to ramp. Who knows how many more they kept.Hopefully they got them cause if it keeps going on like this there will be no fish left.

Thats my 2 cent

Ban the white buckets, they the ones who rape spots. They keep anything that touches their line :evil: :evil:

I have alot of asain mates who do the right thing and they Get the blame or

other peoples wrong doing.

Shane

out of curiosity what ever happened to the term daily bag limit? it was this way for a long time and a bit curious as to when they changed it to in possession limit.

Not certain Wes but it was longer than 5 years ago.

Going by this article dated Dec. 2002 they started bringing in ‘in possession’ limits replacing daily bag limits quite a while ago (10yrs).Don`t know when ALL species went to 'in possession'limits

Source: http://www.magnetictimes.com.au/article-438.html

December 20th 2002

New Bag Limits for QLD Recreational Fishers

…On the issue of bag limits, recreational fishers need to remember that these are NOT daily bag limits but are known as possession limits. That means that if you have some at home in the freezer from the last trip then you can only top up to the legal possession limit. For example, the new limit for spotted mackerel is 5 fish in possession so if you still have 4 fillets left in the freezer, then you can only keep 3 fish. With spotted mackerel, there is also an increased size limit of 60 centimetres to protect juvenile fish and allow them to breed at least once before being targeted…..

….Other species that have been restricted include snapper, teraglin and pearl perch that are not caught in this part of the country and the ubiquitous flathead. The new regulations for flathead are 5 fish in possession with a minimum size of 40 centimetres and a maximum of 70 centimetres. The large flathead are big breeding females and by protecting fish over the maximum legal size, there should be a lot more around for everyone.

Vern Veitch is the Vice Chairman of Sunfish Qld Inc.

out of curiosity what ever happened to the term daily bag limit? it was this way for a long time and a bit curious as to when they changed it to in possession limit.

Not certain Wes but it was longer than 5 years ago.

cheers, i knew it changed just never remembered what year it changed. :)

I could eat two

I believe Ant was talking about eating it whole

Archived