Outboard issues (merc 15hp)

Flatnut

Hi All

Took the tinnie out yesterday for a run everything was fine for ages and then the engine just shut down! Would start straight away but as soon as I would put it in forward gear it would do it again

I could keep it running by feathering the choke for maybe 5mins and then ran fine!

Dirty fuel?

Fuel pump?

Spark plug?

All thoughts welcome please...

Had a similar thing happening with my 20hp mariner/merc .

Start and run fine but at slow revs it seemed to pick up some crud and lacked power and sometimes stopped.

Had carby cleaned, cleaned the tank and there was crud evident and added an inline (glass/gauze)filter , but the problem wasn't totally fixed.

Again it would run fine, but when at trolling speed it would seem to pick up a bit of crud and lacked power and then POP, crud gone and power on, hopefully we are holding on when it happened.

Back to OB guy and plugs were pulled and they looked quite black and oily, suggestion is that oil mix was wrong(which it wasn't) or plug was breaking down.

New plugs and it "seems" the problem is sorted.

Yep breather open. Had a good look today checked fuel line and the "outlet on the small bowl seemed loose when I would run it up it would bubble so maybe sucking air! I put a zip tie on and seems to be better!

Thanks for the feed back fellas

have a good check around the fuel line at the hose clamp at each end of the primer bulb,sometimes a hard to detect split can occur there and check each end of the primer bulb going onto the fuel line as the rubber can perish and have a split in that area

Archived