Making a fibreglass esky

Proffs

Hi, I'm looking at converting my storage seat in the boat to an esky. I can't really find an esky in the shops that's gonna fit just right so I think I might have a go at glassing the original ply box I've got to become a fish box / esky.

post-1013-144598826571_thumb.jpg

post-1013-144598826575_thumb.jpg

If I were to just glass the box as is, with no foam insulation or anything would it keep ice cold for long? Also, I understand the basics of fibreglassing but have never done it before, is this something I could accomplish on my own?

Cheers guys!

Ive done exactly this just recently.

Mine keeps ice for well over a day. And that is just putting in 1 bag of crushed ice. Would be better with block ice and even better when full.

Glass inside and out.

Remember to drill a hole for a bung.

Appernetly if you flow coat it after glassing it insulates even more.

good luck.

Looks the goods Shortie! Nice work. Couple of questions for ya. Where'd you buy the mat n resin etc? With the inside corners, did you use a thinner mat or just work with the same stuff throughout? Did you do much sanding to smooth stuff out or just leave it as is?

Looks like a pretty straight forward job. I used AA fibreglass for my supplies. I just went to their websiteto get you some address details but it's not working. I think they were around Hemmant or Lyndon somewhere.

I recently replaced one of the side pockets in the boat, which was my first fibre glassing job, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I'm going to cut a hole in the floor in a few weeks to check the stringers which will be another fibre glassing patch job.

Just make sure you have plenty of brushes, rollers and cleaner and you'll be right.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I got the supplies for my esky. Got them off coldesign at rocklea. I got 2m of glass, 1kg resin, 1kg flow coat, bout 100ml of catalyst & a litre of acetone for $40. Grabbed a roller of him for $10. He gave me some triangular foam for the inside corners too. I'm gonna have a go at it on the weekend & if all turns out well I'll post a little guide of what I did. ;) I didn't get the blokes name but he was really helpful, I'd recommend him to anyone.

Im making mine to fit under my floor designing it tonight seems like it will hold a good amount and cut down on the vital floor space up the front of my boat.

Are the triangular corners for ease of glassing or strength?

A mate of mine has a few supplies left over from a project so he is going to show me how to do it.

Archived