Joining VMR

Proffs

Um, forgive me if this is a bit of a silly question, but I'm looking at joining VMR just in case I need a hand one day, but on their websites it says they only operate weekends and public holidays. So...what happens if you need a tow or something on a weekday? :S :blink:

I joined Coast Guard Redcliffe this week was really easy although cant do it over the phone so just went down there 10mins later and $70 well spent. They are manned all weekend and 0600-2100 during the week i didnt ask about outside these times but for now this will cover me. when trying to call VMR to see about joining there was no one there and a message replied to contact the water police if urgent help is required.

• 2 months later...

sorry to bring up a old post but as i read this im a bit confussed??

so i need to go to wynnum coast guard and join up (as it is my closest one) for a fee of looks like $70ish dollars..

so is this like racq break downs??

if i have trouble in the water some were and i need a tow to port this fee will cover it??

or is there a fee to pay to the coast guard as well??

ive heard all of the talks about HUGE fees from them towing people back in a boat and jetski from ie. peel to cleveland for $600 is this true??

so in a nut shell do i need to go join the coast guard??? to get the help when needed (if i ever do I hope not) and have no nasty suprise of money hand over?

Best to contact who ever is your closest departure VMR or coastguard and ask them. As mark said VMR usually work with coastguard. Some are affiliated with each other, some are not. Some people have memberships with both but even when you don't use it is going to a great cause. They work pretty hard on the weekends.

Archived