Bowen

Keen-as-fisho

Well we have left Monto behind for now and are starting on another site in Proserpine (26k's from Airlie Beach :woohoo: ). The Job is not quite ready yet and we have 3 days to enjoy, so I have decided to drive up to Bowen tomorrow morning as its only 68k's away. Taking my kayak and plan on hitting the two small islands out the front of the harbour. Saturday I will spend in Airlie and if I'm up to it on Sunday I will hit Peter Faust dam.

I know a few have fished Bowen and the pipeline/jetty up there but has anyone fished the islands just out of the harbour, is there much in the way of shallow reefs around them? Also any green zones in the area?

Forget those islands and launch at greys bay boat ramp and there is a rock with a beacon on it off the point its awesome at times for large spanish makerel troll some lures around take wire with you because this is mackerel season up there. If your up for a good paddle start trolling from the same ramp north and you will eventually hit makerel.

The other side of town fish around the tug wharfs there are some large jacks, finger mark, barra etc around those islands you are talikng about is the nursery if the weather is bad for either side of town fish the harbour around some of the piles in the middle near the bridge that goes up to the lookout

good luck Den

i'll send you a pm

Forget those islands and launch at greys bay boat ramp and there is a rock with a beacon on it off the point its awesome at times for large spanish makerel troll some lures around take wire with you because this is mackerel season up there. If your up for a good paddle start trolling from the same ramp north and you will eventually hit makerel.

The other side of town fish around the tug wharfs there are some large jacks, finger mark, barra etc around those islands you are talikng about is the nursery if the weather is bad for either side of town fish the harbour around some of the piles in the middle near the bridge that goes up to the lookout

good luck Den

i'll send you a pm

Ended up launching at Grays point first up and fishing around the rock with the beacon on it, got blown away twice 20LB. Caught loads of small stuff including my first what I think is a potato cod and some funky orange stripped thing which looks edible? Got off at 9am and went to the harbour, relaunched and fished the entrance to the harbour and around the big jetty with the tug boats moored to it. Again got blown away on the pylons, got a few small trevs and queenies and another potato cod. Very good day out despite the wind and gonna do it all again on sunday morning earlier. Also had a shark cruise under the yak that was at least three quarters the length :unsure: near the jetty.

post-6136-144598835577_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598835552_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598835567_thumb.jpg

Is there a size or bag limit on these buggers? All fish were released today btw!

Archived