Keeping pillies fresh

Fishfanatic

This is my first post as a new member. Been visiting the site for a while and thought this would be the best place to find the answers that I am after.

I am off to Fraser Island on Ekka day for 5 days. This will be my first long term trip and I am not sure of a few things:

What is the best way of keeping the pilchards fresh? ( I am not taking a freezer with - camping at Dundubara)

How much pilchards do I need to take if I plan to fish 4 morning sessions and 4 evening sessions?

Already starting to get fishing fever..........

Buy some dry Ice mate will last the 5 days and if you sit your packets of pillies on top they will stay rock hard. as to how many you need it depends how much you fish... I would be more likely to take extra bait as you would hate to be found short once over there. good luck with the trip mate

How do I then defrost them if they are that frozen?

Usually I just take them out a little while before the session. Otherwise dunking them in a bucket of seawater will do the trick - they don't have to be completely thawed....

Hope that helps and good luck on fraser!

I normally get a Styrofoam Cauliflower box (like the lite'n'easy eskys) put a layer of salt in about 1cm then a layer of pillies then do the same over and over depending on the amount your doing. Then check them every couple days till your happy with em.. Take pillies out and bag up.. Put lid on box and put behind shed and reuse a couple times.. ;)

Archived