New PBs at Mooloolaba

Genesis

Hi all,

its been a while since I posted a report so please excuse me if I come across a little rusty B)

Went offshore fishing on Sunday at Mooloolaba and with forecast of low winds and small swells, all 5 of us were quietly optimistic and hopeful of a good day out. The initial ride out was pretty smooth but conditions soon changed after 5k out. Finally got to the spot after an hour of being thrashed around in the boat, we eagarly deployed our jigs and started tearing them through the water column. The bites started out slow with rat amberjacks and squires caught but slowly improved throughout the day when some of us switched over to bait. I persisted on with jigs and was happily rewarded with a new snapper PB of 79cm. Kevin (Tikki169) eventually followed suit with a PB of his own at 68cm. Our very first knobbies :woohoo: I guess the bait must have stirred the bottom because the bite rate improved dramatically soon after. We were getting onto so many different species of fish including a 6ft tiger shark who decided to play a game of tug-of-war with me for 30mins on my light jigging outfit before snipping my braid boatside. Was great fun and really pushed the limits of my PE1.5 jig rod / Hyper Custom 4000 combo.

The fishing continued till late arvo and with sore shoulders and stiff joints due to the relentless coooooold wind, we decided to call it a day and headed towards land where we were greeted by a spectacular aerial display by the RAAF's Roulettes. It was absolutely breathtaking watching these pilots do their thing in the air while crusing at 5 knots back to the ramp.

Back at the ramp, we were greet by a fisherie volunteer person who wanted to "inspect" our catch for scientific purposes and he commented that our haul was the best one he seen for the entire day. We were pretty stoked by his comments :cheer: We each ended up with a good feed of fish and something to show our wives, kids, partners and pets :P

Thank you for reading.

glenn

post-8218-144598845811_thumb.jpg

post-8218-144598845825_thumb.jpg

post-8218-144598845833_thumb.jpg

.....Went offshore fishing on Sunday at Mooloolaba and with forecast of low winds and small swells, all of us were quietly optimistic and hopeful of a good day out. The initial ride out was pretty smooth but conditions soon changed after 5k out....

You serious? We wereout on the Barwon Banks and the wind didn't get over 10 knots all day. Where were you guys.

Nice catch BTW, we struggled all day for a few snapper and a spangled.

Was a great day out and VERY happy with my 68cm snapper, now I need to break the 70cm mark (hopefully tomorrow).

It's probably the first time I've been out and neither bait nor Jigs fished better than the other.

I did manage to get reefed by 2 monsters on jigs and once on bait. The guys thought it rather funny (but were dissapointed when I got bust off on the reef, watching me helpless as I get dragged back to the depths from 10m off the bottom.

Man that looks like a cracker sess.

I want to get into jigging. Looks pretty fun.

Shane

Don't forget expensive hahahaha. Though from the for sale section I think you have more than enough gear to do some decent jigging.

This was all on 4000 reels and PeE 2 we didn't even bust out the 5000's and PE5.

You serious? We wereout on the Barwon Banks and the wind didn't get over 10 knots all day. Where were you guys.

Oh yeah. 2 other mates got sick and had to sit out for most parts of the day. We were about 30ks north of the banks.

Nice work on the spangled. Been wanting to catch one for ages but no luck yet.

Well done guys.

I wish i had a bigger boat id be resident up there lol. I love the banks. Hopefully one day.

Man if you guys ever had deckie spot going up there let me know. I want to get into jigging. Looks pretty fun.

Shane

No worries Shane. Will definitley keep you in mind. We were actually targeting AJ and kingies but they refused to come out and play. Like Kevin said, our heavy jig gear stayed dry the whole time.

Oh yeah. 2 other mates got sick and had to sit out for most parts of the day. We were about 30ks north of the banks.

Nice work on the spangled. Been wanting to catch one for ages but no luck yet.

Well done guys.

I wish i had a bigger boat id be resident up there lol. I love the banks. Hopefully one day.

Man if you guys ever had deckie spot going up there let me know. I want to get into jigging. Looks pretty fun.

Shane

No worries Shane. Will definitley keep you in mind. We were actually targeting AJ and kingies but they refused to come out and play. Like Kevin said, our heavy jig gear stayed dry the whole time.

30kms north of the banks, sounds like you guys were on the northern end of the Hards. That is a long way out about 70-80km.

Good session there guy's :woohoo:

Light demersal jigging is great fun, i have recently got into it myself and it amazes me the amount of different species that will take small jigs. I use a Xzoga Taka 6012 PE2 rod with a new 3000 Caldia running PE2 (35lb) ygk jigging braid.

Do you guys use flutter style jigs or just the vertical style jigs ???

cheers tim :)

Jigging for snapper, that's cool !!

Were you using butterfly or knife jigs? also how deep were you fishing?

Cheers

Manni

Thanks Manni. We were fishing about 110m deep.

I personally have more success with knife jigs but it also depends on what species you are targetting. Kingies and Amberjacks can go nuts chasing after vertical jigs while Kevin can testify that fluttering jigs work extremely well on trevally and dogtooth tunas.

Light demersal jigging is great fun, i have recently got into it myself and it amazes me the amount of different species that will take small jigs. I use a Xzoga Taka 6012 PE2 rod with a new 3000 Caldia running PE2 (35lb) ygk jigging braid.

thanks Tim.

Kevin has the same rod and he loves it. He pairs it with a Catalina 4000 and the combo have caught him plenty of nice fish...

Current was good and we were able to go as light as 90g and still hit bottom. Definitely a big bonus to us having to avoid jigging with heavier gear and 250g jigs :)

thanks Tim.

Kevin has the same rod and he loves it. He pairs it with a Catalina 4000 and the combo have caught him plenty of nice fish...

Current was good and we were able to jig as light as 90 and still hit bottom. Definitely a big bonus to us having to avoid jigging with heavier gear and 250g jigs :)

Yeah they are pretty good rods for the price, the jigging master saber game rods are supposed to be good too. Another good thing about light demersal jigging is that you can use a 7 foot soft plastic rod if you don't have a short jigging rod. I used to use my 7 foot (8-15kg) Egrell Bear Essentials rod and 4500 Saltiga before i got my Xzoga and it worked fine.

It's good when the current is weak, last time i went jigging we were at Square Patch off Moreton in 90 metres of water and were getting down with 50-60 gram flutter jigs. We got Squire, Tuna, Cobia, Pearlies and smoked a number of times by brutes.

Jigs are addictive though, ive got about 50-55 all between 40-100 grams

Jigs are addictive though, ive got about 50-55 all between 40-100 grams

Yes... Just ask Kevin. He has enough jigs to sink the titanic twice :whistle:

And the reason I can only sink it twice MASSIVE GT AND DOGGIES cleaned me up out at the banks one day.

Must say Tim I do love your choice of rod, I got the Xzoga for a great deal on eBay and thought I'd just give it a go and I've never looked back. Had it paired with a 4000 Hyper Custom Certate but I'm loving the Catalina

O and I use the YGK PE 2 myself and it's great to.

Archived