harrys reef moreton bay

jamocarter

hi all,

new to using the website even though i have been listed for 1 year.

just after any information/help on harrys.

lived and fished moreton bay all my life, know all about harrys and fished there many times but never raised anything decent.

i mostly bait fish but occasionly like flicking plastics. ive heard cuttlefish is the go, but sat there one early morning with the rod untouched.!!!

usually avoid the place and fish peel but wouldnt mind giving it a better go!

any help would be great!!

thanks

To have any success at Harries you need to sound out one of the reefs and get your bait right on the money. Otherwise you will sit there all day twiddling your thumbs.

I've had days out there when I just couldn't find any structure and suffered for it. Other days I've managed to locate good structure; anchored up-tide from it and caught decent size squire all day long.

Best times as always are dusk, dawn and evening.

Hi mate,

I may be wrong but te artificial reef balls tht they drop to make these artificial reefs don't come up as big stuff on your sounder that would make you start getting exited whilst shouting " whoaaaa woooooow " but are usually just subtle rises or drops. As they ey sediment and shit buil up on ten they become evn less noticeable.

I know the one off peel it's hardly visible really but still holds fish.

I think you may have better sucess trying to locate the two pearl and sound that up, I did hear that's quite visible on the sounder and the marks can be found on various dpi and government sites!

Cheers callum

hey callum!

yes we have the iphone app that puts you straight on top of the balls. its called ausreef. preety handy.

tried finding the ones out from peel a few weeks ago but there wasnt much doin on the sounder. :angry:

when we were at harrys we sat smaack in the middle of all the marks that was there. small stuff as usual but wasnt using to big of baits.

is the current always screaming at harrys??? think that played a big part on our lack of fish.

thanks jamie :cheer:

Hi mate,

I may be wrong but te artificial reef balls tht they drop to make these artificial reefs don't come up as big stuff on your sounder that would make you start getting exited whilst shouting " whoaaaa woooooow " but are usually just subtle rises or drops. As they ey sediment and shit buil up on ten they become evn less noticeable.

I know the one off peel it's hardly visible really but still holds fish.

I think you may have better sucess trying to locate the two pearl and sound that up, I did hear that's quite visible on the sounder and the marks can be found on various dpi and government sites!

Cheers callum

With most of the artificial reefs they try to design them to emulate structure near where they are or attract species that are local or sought after. Harry's may not have very visable structure but some of them are. The artificial's at north moreton or wild banks look like a fisho's wet dream. Massive showings on the sounder with a lot of fish on them. Unfortunately I haven't got any good fish there. There does seem to be a massive cod in that reefs you straight away.

Heres a bit of info for you on Harry's

/>http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/moreton_bay_marine_park_zoning_plan_review/pdfs/harry-atkinson-art-reef-map.pdf

/>http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/moreton_bay_marine_park_zoning_plan_review/pdfs/tiwi-pearl.pdf

Archived