pfd for a infant

straddiebrad

I'm no help to you unfortunately Brad but good question as I've been thinking about this over the last couple of weeks. My young fella is 10 months and hoping to take him and the missus (somehow she hasn't been in it in the 2 and a half years I've had it!!) over the Xmas holidays.

Saw a toddler (was around 100m away but I'd estimate 18 months to 2 years) on a jetski today (and not exactly going slow!!). Very brave!!

yes i been down this track and the law regarding lifejackets is bloody joke!!!!!

the law for an infant less than 10kg does not require one :blink: "yeah i know go figure" an adult must be holding the infant at all times and adult must be wearing life jacket 100% of the time.at the time of my research this is 100% factual information,things could have changed.

it was 1 yr or more ago when i took Banjo out on his first outing and i did find him a life jacket to wear. it is a marlin brand baby size 1-2 level 140N has a head rest and a large head floatation support and high impact resistant wet suit backicking.has a full harness style waist/crotch atatchment and they float the baby horozontaly not vertically. marlin also do baby todler 10-15kg todler 15-25 kg

the ID# of the jacket of the one i got for Banjo is 3996 and thre is another model number on the jacket but i dont what it is regarding but it is 1010-1860.i got it from browns plains BCF. had to do a special order as they deal in marlin products. on a side note no other marine shop- bias or witworths etc couldnt help or it seemed liked to much effort for them.

i did my research and found the jacket and got the model# which made it easier for the bcf crew to order it.

congratulations brad :P

Hi, I've been taking my boys on my boat since before they were born. First thing we did was to take them to swimming lesson which we started at 5 months old. When they got a bit older i got the smallest life jackets i could find(in their weight range), put them on and threw them in the pool. To my horror they rolled onto their faces and couldn't right themselves up! Had to jump in after them. From that time on they wore their wahoo swim vests on the boat (worn when they played in the pool) until they could use the PFD properly. My boat is 5.3m and i always carried the correct safety gear but just didn't feel safe with my boys wearing PFD type 1 knowing that if they did fall in they couldn't keep their face out of the water. I think the reason for the pfd's not working properly is that small children's legs aren't heavy enough to counteract the floatation and they end up floating horizontally and without practice they don't know how to roll themselves face up.

Here's a link to FAQ on PFD's http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/adac85fd-8cf9-404d-921d-db19aab59b4e/lifejackets_faq.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jonno

Ps First pic was my oldest at 2.5yo with the wahoo and second pic is my just turned 4yo that's been wearing his PFD 1 since 3yo and now wants me to be his deckie :P

post-1169-144598857572_thumb.jpg

post-1169-144598857583_thumb.jpg

Hi, I've been taking my boys on my boat since before they were born. First thing we did was to take them to swimming lesson which we started at 5 months old. When they got a bit older i got the smallest life jackets i could find(in their weight range), put them on and threw them in the pool. To my horror they rolled onto their faces and couldn't right themselves up! Had to jump in after them. From that time on they wore their wahoo swim vests on the boat (worn when they played in the pool) until they could use the PFD properly. My boat is 5.3m and i always carried the correct safety gear but just didn't feel safe with my boys wearing PFD type 1 knowing that if they did fall in they couldn't keep their face out of the water. I think the reason for the pfd's not working properly is that small children's legs aren't heavy enough to counteract the floatation and they end up floating horizontally and without practice they don't know how to roll themselves face up.

Here's a link to FAQ on PFD's http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/adac85fd-8cf9-404d-921d-db19aab59b4e/lifejackets_faq.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jonno

Ps First pic was my oldest at 2.5yo with the wahoo and second pic is my just turned 4yo that's been wearing his PFD 1 since 3yo and now wants me to be his deckie :P

yeah some good points and info there jonno.not havin ago at you in any way but rather bringing it to the attention for others ok jonno. ;):)

a pfd1 life jacket shouldnt float verticle. (a water skiers life jacket will its a bouyency devise designed not to snap your neck in a fall on impact).

an incorectly fitted pfd1 will roll a person over on there face if incorectly fitted. the reason for the jacket rolling the body over face down is that the chest floatation is not isolated to only the chest. if the floatation goes around the body or past the chest under the arms in any way it will not provide the true positive buoyoncy the vest is designed to do and will allow the body to dolphin roll.

just would like to know if there is anyone on here that has ever taken a small baby out in there boats,and is there a law on the age that someone cant be in a boat any info would be good,is 6 months too early if not what pdf have you used.thanks brad

Wow Brad. I did not you and Lesley were expecting. Gratz mate

not e ted all my swimmers go down the plug hole :lol:

just would like to know if there is anyone on here that has ever taken a small baby out in there boats,and is there a law on the age that someone cant be in a boat any info would be good,is 6 months too early if not what pdf have you used.thanks brad

Wow Brad. I did not you and Lesley were expecting. Gratz mate

not e ted all my swimmers go down the plug hole :lol:

Haha i am not even going to go there :whistle:

Archived