What is this little guy???

havarest

That would be a Sargent Baker aulopus_purpurissatus
/>http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/NOV03/Sergeant_Baker(Aulopus_purpurissatus).html
/>http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/apurpur.htm

I got one just over 60 cm once on a charter off Port Stevens.

Sorry to disagree, but that fish doesn't have the prodominant dorsal fin and rays as the Sergent Bakers do.

Also, I have caught alot of Grubfish around Peel Island. When I get the chance to, I will photograph the Grubfish in my book and put them up. Won't be for a while as I have a few assignments I have to do and exams are coming up, but I will eventually put them up.

If you ever do catch a Sergant Baker, they are aparantly a firm eating fish, but they have no flavour.

I posted this last night but ...it's Gooone..

I still believe that it is a Sargent Baker (SB). The eyes on a Grubfish look very different.

The Grub fish has a single pectoral fin where the SB has two fins (pelvic and pectoral)

The Grub has a very long anal fin, the SB does not..

I enjoy looking up different fish... keep them coming, nothing better than a robust discussion...

That's spot on Mack Attack! What variety of grubfish is it?

I've attached one I caught a few years back. Note ID points like that interesting front dorsal and general fin shape. Definately the right family, if not variety.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/000_1061_small.JPG

Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2007/08/20 19:13

post-125-144598425328_thumb.jpg

werewolf wrote:

That's spot on Mack Attack! What variety of grubfish is it?

I've attached one I caught a few years back. Note ID points like that interesting front dorsal and general fin shape. Definately the right family, if not variety.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/000_1061_small.JPG<br><br>Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2007/08/20 19:13

Thats a verigated lizard fish.. they are all in the same family .. grinners sargent bakers grubfish....

hey werewolf thanks for the support, your pic really shows the little front dorsal fin that is black and little white spines.

According to wild guide to moreton bay, a queensland museum publication (noosa to the tweed).

Family: Pinguipedidae

Name: Bar-faced grubfish

size: to 34cm

Habitat: bottom dwelling,in pairs or small groups on sandy or rubbly bottoms near reefs often taken with winter whiting

Latin Name: Parapercis nebulosus

Sorry mick but werewolfs pic is absolutely identical to the one in this book and as the most obvious feature is that little black dorsal fin. the variegated lizardfish has the very large jaws of a grinner with different colourations

Post edited by: Mack_attack, at: 2007/08/20 21:14

this is magic i never thought i could get so much out of a post. I thought i would be made a fool of posting a fish which might have been common but instead getting a bit of history. All great stuff guys and i even love the humour keep that coming,

ps.by the way he did make it back to the water but yes probably with a lump..but then again chicks dig scars so thats one lucky fish(refering to cannonball)

I am sorry I wasnt clear enough.. They are the same type not the same family ..my bad..

Lizard fish, Grinners and Sargent Bakers are all in the lizard fish family.

Grub fish have their own family.

Lizardfishes

Clearfin Lizardfish Synodus dermatogenys

Javelinfish Synodus jaculum

Painted Lizardfish Trachinocephalus myops

Sergeant Baker Aulopus purpurissatus

Slender Grinner Saurida gracilis

Variegated Lizardfish Synodus variegatus

Grubfishes and Weavers

Barred Grubfish Parapercis allporti

Blacktail Grubfish Parapercis queenslandica

Latticed Grubfish Parapercis clathrata

Lyretail Grubfish Parapercis schauinslandii

Pink-banded Grubfish Parapercis nebulosa

Spotted Grubfish Parapercis ramsayi

Wavy Grubfish Parapercis haackei

White-streaked Grubfish Parapercis stricticeps

I ask again what depth was it caught in and how long was the fish..

Archived