Need some help with gear choice

Jords

Couple of things ladies and gents! Firstly looking at getting a new baitcaster, want something that will be used for throwing spinnerbaits for cod, but mostly used for bass fishing.

At the moment tossing up between a chronarch or curado, can pick up the chronarch for only $45-$50 more than the curado, so thinking this is my option. Just wondering what size you think would be right for me?

Also, want a heavier outfit to chase mackies offshore or big jewies off the rocks down south, so thinking 5000 stradic fj? Any other ideas?

Next up, looking for a rod to match the stradic for the same purposes. Only looking for something in the shimano range (please dont bring up 'that' argument)) hahah

Cheers guys!!

A 200 Curado or chronarch would do the job, but get a spare spool, you will definitely want much heavier braid fishing for cod than bass.

Mostly bass being targeted, you could go the 100, easier to cast all day and toss smaller lures, but with the risk of getting spooled / need to chase down (if in a boat) a decent cod.

I have a Chronarch 200E5 and am basically happy with it. The only problem that I have is that there is a quick release for the side plate to allow for quick spool changes and the locking mechanism sometimes becomes undone during normal fishing handling. I would not like this happen in the middle of a good struggle with a reasonable fish.

I bought the Chronarch over the Curado because it is still made in Japan, where the later Curados are made in Malaysia (I think). I really like Daiwa gear, but I think you might pay a bit more to get similar quality.

I think Andrew was recommending the 2nd spool for an easy swap over if targeting cod rather than bass, not in case Jords gets spooled. I concur.
Yeah I understand that, I was just suggesting that it may not be needed. Even with a higher breaking strain line (thicker) there will be plenty on the spool for the water that will likely be fished so my comments were referring not to the second spool suggestion more the actual size of the reel. Concur or no concur? As a side note it's nice of you to take some time out of your busy massage and waxing parlour to grace us with your presence :whistle: :P

Jords I think the saragosa may be a slightly better option if you are wanting a heavy duty spinning reel, I love my 3000F and it is as smooth as.

Not sure about baitcasters but for the spin gear pickup a Biomaster from overseas for the same price you pay for a Stradic here and match it up with a T-Curve 5-10kg. If you are chasing Cod in the yak anything much more than 10lb main line is pointless as all that happens is that you get towed around, a decent Bass setup with a bigger leader will do the job just fine.

Cheers

Mark

Archived