AFO Wanderers Somerset Dam Social Nov 9th/10th/11th

tugger

The next social will be at Somerset dam chasing redclaw crayfish and waterskiing, tubing, kneeboarding etc we camp at somerset village camp grounds opposite the shop. Everyone is welcome to come along and join us here there is great kayaking straight out the back of the camp in the river and the spit in front of the dam wall is where we set up our day shelter.

The camp grounds have toilets and hot showers and i will get the camp with the large shelter with 4 tables and bench seats. Bring firewood if you can and dont forget your fold up chair i will have a small bbq.

mmmmm Redclaw

The bait i use in my opera house traps for the redclaw is small tin cat food or skin from watermelon and rockmelon once my kids have devoured the good bits i'll be able to show you where to run the traps but soft plastic fishing someone else will have to help you there i just use live shrimp for fishing

thats a shame lol .I plan to go on this one and will be on my own so ill have room in the boat if anyone wants to go .Hopefully they can show me how to catch redclaw and use the squidgies as i never catch much :(

both myself and deck head will be attending this one Tugger. i contacted the campground and have confirmed they have accessible facilities. so down to details.

fishing license - check

i believe a boating permit is required for lake somerset?

do we bring something for the BBQ or is it a chip in for the costs ?

i can bring a couple of bags of firewood, Gidgi which burns hot and long.

you have booked a large campsite, so do we pay you or paying for own tent at the park reception.

sorry about all the questions but this is our first AFO social and not sure what is expected and required

Cheers

Ray

yes a boating permit is required and you can pick it up at the ramp before you launch just bring something you would like to cook on the bbq you pay for your car at the camp park reception or if they are not in they will visit the camp site in the late arvo and you can fix them up then

both myself and deck head will be attending this one Tugger. i contacted the campground and have confirmed they have accessible facilities. so down to details.

fishing license - check

i believe a boating permit is required for lake somerset?

do we bring something for the BBQ or is it a chip in for the costs ?

i can bring a couple of bags of firewood, Gidgi which burns hot and long.

you have booked a large campsite, so do we pay you or paying for own tent at the park reception.

sorry about all the questions but this is our first AFO social and not sure what is expected and required

Cheers

Ray

Hi Mark

when i was checking accessibility at the camp site and how far site 72 was from amenities i had made mention that i was bringing the boat and so would others. the girl i was talking too said it looked like a number of people were coming and if all had cars and boats we would need more room.

She has reserved sites 70 and 71 just in case we need them. she said easier to un-reserve them than to try and find a spare site close to 72.

cheers

Ray

I rang them and they confirmed that with me this morning as well thanks for that

Hi Mark

when i was checking accessibility at the camp site and how far site 72 was from amenities i had made mention that i was bringing the boat and so would others. the girl i was talking too said it looked like a number of people were coming and if all had cars and boats we would need more room.

She has reserved sites 70 and 71 just in case we need them. she said easier to un-reserve them than to try and find a spare site close to 72.

cheers

Ray

I have tuned up my redclaw traps and with the warmer weather aproaching i will give them a good crack to see if we can get a good feed for saturday night so i will bring up a few tins of coconut cream and fesh garlic to marinate the redclaw tails it my favourite way to do them

I have tuned up my redclaw traps and with the warmer weather aproaching i will give them a good crack to see if we can get a good feed for saturday night so i will bring up a few tins of coconut cream and fesh garlic to marinate the redclaw tails it my favourite way to do them

i will help contribute to that mate

Anyone coming you dont have to bring tables as there are 4 big tables and bench seats under the shelter in the middle of these camps just bring a fold up chair for around the fire and on the lake shore i will have a bbq and gas light for the camp as well, the shop has ice and does burgers etc and you can top up your fuel there on the boats.

For the kids and big kids like me i will organise a cricket game back at camp saturday arvo and redclaw races which they love. Dont forget to bring the marshmellows to toast on the fire at night they keeps them amused while we kick back with a few cold refreshments.

Looking forward to meeting a few new faces that look like are coming and to catch up with the guys i already know

Ww will be at the spit during the day on the bank facing the dam wall with our shelter hope to see you up there

Mark

Me and a few mates are camping further along the dam that weekend, ill have to drop in and introduce myself to you all. Hope to see you up there!

There is a good chance that we will be there for this one. Most likely showing up Saturday arvo (unless I cancel wrestling - undecided on that though because I have to cancel it on the 24th).

I haven't done any wakeboarding or waterskiing since before leaving the US so it sounds like a bit of fun can be had.

Gary there is no phone reception up ther so get the directions right look through this post for all the camp spots and the area of the bank on the spit at the dam we will be at during the day

There is a good chance that we will be there for this one. Most likely showing up Saturday arvo (unless I cancel wrestling - undecided on that though because I have to cancel it on the 24th).

I haven't done any wakeboarding or waterskiing since before leaving the US so it sounds like a bit of fun can be had.

Archived