Double Island Point trip - HELP!!

Cliffy

S'posed to be heading to Double Island this weekend for a blokes weekend - camping, fishing, beer, fishing, fishing, etc (given the weather may have to put off for a week :()...however, fished the surf once at Rainbow for a PB Flattie, but keen to get amongst the rocks off the point this time. Keen for any pointers or tips y'all might have re resident species and best gear set-up as I'm mostly used to dropping from the boat or hurling at the surf.

Thanks,

Cliffy

Cliffy,

Haven't fished Double Island for a few years. Used to beach fish there at this time of year for tailor, should be good choppers off the rocks. When rock fishing for tailor we used a much smaller sinker than from the beach, only about a size 1 ball, running right down onto the gang. Fish with pillies and retrieve very slowly. Also had a few Spaniards eat pillies at D.I from the beach.

Be super careful fishing from the rocks, people die doing that every year in Australia.

Check out my last Stradbroke Island report in the Islands and Bay section. Breaming off the rocks with light gear was awesome fun. But yeah as the others said, keep your eye on the swell. In the excitement of having a fish on the other end of you line, its easy not to notice a big set coming in.

Angus

Archived